Greetings from Melksham

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
stewartjs
Initiate

Greetings from Melksham

Unread post by stewartjs »

Been browsing the Forum for some time and thought it about time I started to paricipate.

I'm a long-time Minolta user, starting with an X-GM, then X-500, X-700 and 600si. Current cameras are Dynax 7 for film and A100 for digital.

Lens selection is mostly s/hand - bought as and when I spot a bargain. Currently:
28-105 / 50 1.7 / 70-210 Beercan / 100-300 APO / Sigma 17-35 EX DG / 24-105.

All shared across both current cameras but I find the Sigma works better with the Dynax 7, so looking for suggestions for a wide-medium tele for the A100 - exchanged the 18-70 kit lens for a Dynax 5 + 35-70 (replacement for my Dad's Canon) - and don't like to borrow my wife's Tamron 18-200 too often, excellent though it is.

Stewart
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Melksham

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Welcome Stewart. If you can find anyone disposing of one of the new 18-55mm SAM lenses, they are generally much better than the 18-70mm on an the A100 will also focus very fast (the A100 has a slow focus motor, but the SAM lens uses an internal motor and is one of the fastest focusing lenses around).

There's a very nice lens for sale in the Private FS section - Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - but that's probably more expensive than you would want as a kit lens.

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Welcome Stewart! If you follow this link you'll find the Tamron 17-50/2.8 that DK was talking about, it's a great lens at a good price. You and the seller came here at about the same time...it's a sign!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I agree with David concerning the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and might add the Sony 16-105 (if brand new is not your choice, I'm sure you would find some used on the net). The former has the advantage of speed while the latter goes for the range.
And welcome to the forum. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Welcome Stewart! I suppose it might be tedious if I was to also recommend the Tamron 17-50, but what the heck :D . I agree with Kevin - the hand of fate does seem to be pushing you that way 8) . If you are happy to go with the far east eBay sellers then there are good deals on the 18-55 there.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
stewartjs
Initiate

Thank you all for the welcome and advice. I admit to liking Tamron glass, and, but for the coffers being depleted post-Christmas would go for the 17-50. Perhaps I can wait for my annual bonus. :lol: Alternatively perhaps I need to start selling some surplus gear - anyone fancy an X-700 or a 600si with VCG?

Stewart
stewartjs
Initiate

Well. I gave in to temptation and went withthe Tamron. Haven't had much time to use it yet, but did get these early snowdrops today.

A100+17-50, 1/80 @ F5.
DSC02357 - resized.jpg
DSC02357 - resized.jpg (556.58 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Congratulations on the new lens stewartjs :D . I'm hope you have as much fun with it as I, and every other Tamron 17-50 owner seem to have. Of all my growing collection of lenses this one has the best quality feel, and is great to use (although to be fair I haven't used any top end stuff such as G or Zeiss, yet 8) ).

Nice Snowdrops shot - please feel free to post some more flower pics in the Flowers 2010 thread here http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=3727.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Congratulations! Enjoy that lens, it's a gem!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --