wireless flash

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
Dave Shears
Acolyte

wireless flash

Unread post by Dave Shears »

Hi

I am Dave from sunny Sussex, Uk. I am new to digital photography and have purchased a Sony a700. Found this forum whilst trying to resolve an issue with the wireless flash function. I have the Sony 36 flash gun which wont work unless the on-board flash is up.
I want to be a little more creative with the flash and find this annoying. Is it possible to operate the wireless function with the on-board in the down position?

many thanks,

Dave
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: wireless flash

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No, but the onboard flash has no effect - no light from it reaches the subject. It only transmits control signals to the 36 when you use it in wireless mode. Don't complain, for most other DSLR systems you have to fork out for a controller to be able to use remote flash. That is changing and new models like the Canon 1000D are offering control the same way the Minolta/Sony system always has - from the onboard flash.

David
Dave Shears
Acolyte

Unread post by Dave Shears »

Many thanks for your reply. As the on-board flash fires.....is it a miss-fire? I wasn't going to complain as I am aware of the "lite" systems and cost used by the above :lol:

thanks for your help.

Dave
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It fires a light signal which happens before the remote flash actually exposes the shot. It uses pulses of light from the onboard to control the sync and output of the remote.

David