Hello from Ontario Canada

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Hello from Ontario Canada

Unread post by Javelin »

Another refugee from DPR looking for a quieter place to expand my skills. I used to shoot Minolta film cameras starting with an X570 I bought before I had any idea what I was doing and had a lot of fun until 1/2 my gear was stolen. I replaced that camera with an X700 which I liked but wasn't really home like my x570 was. I shot for a while with that but got disillusioned after shooting 4-5 rolls and not getting a single keeper and decided to wait for someone to make a CCD still camera. I worked for a Sony dealer and when the first Betacam came out without pickup tubes I knew I would be shooting digital soon. my first digital was a Sony P50 that I carried everywhere. almost bought an F707 when it came out but waited and jumped on the F717 which was with me for 80k shots until October 07 or so when the CCD failed and Sony replaced it but while it was away I broke out my X700 and shot 3rolls of mostly keepers with my favorite lens (sigma 70-210F2.8) and decided then that I could put up with an SLR again especially since Sony bought Minolta I felt the planets has aligned. I skipped the A100 and went for an A200 as soon as it came out. was a fun camera to learn on and I gathered some lenses I wanted ... then a few more and the last lens for my kit should be in this week and I think I'm done. I used to shoot a lot of people with the film cameras but slowly moved away from that with the F717 now I'm mostly in the woods and farmlands with my cameras. I managed to have someone pick up an A700 for me from Best buy in the states and that quickly became my camera of choice until and unfortunate incident with a violent thunderstorm left me in the dilemma of whether to save my lenses or my camera body. I had heard the A700 was sealed up better but I guess water still got inside and now it's in the shop being repaired. I have since picked up a camera holster type of pack for the body with lens to go in and a small on for my 36am flash as well. now I can Carry my whole kit through the woods and everything is safe as these bags come standard from think tank with rain covers that work quite well.

I actually tried to sell my A200 off to B.F. from the other site ... came that close || :) I would have even taken a loss. but in the end I'm glad I had it to fall back on.

I see a lot of people post hardware lists so heres mine.

Minolta 17-35 F2.8 on it's way
Sony 18-70 f3.5
Minolta 35-70 F4
Minolta 70-210 F4 beercan
Minolta 70-300 f4.5 Big Beercan
Minolta 50mm F1.7
Tamron 90mm F2.5 Macro
Minolta 100mm F2.8 Macro
HVL-36AM flash
A200
A700
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Hello from Ontario Canada

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nice set you have Javelin and welcome.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Selling an A200 to B.F. would make you a very good catch as a salesperson - ice to Eskimos comes to mind :-)

I'm waiting now for the full frame. That will give B.F. some cause to complain. He'll be VERY unhappy about all its features and that it doesn't take film and will have really low noise!

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

David Kilpatrick wrote: ice to Eskimos comes to mind :-) David
Times have changed David, now they are selling refrigerators :lol: :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Dr. Harout wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote: ice to Eskimos comes to mind :-) David
Times have changed David, now they are selling refrigerators :lol: :lol:
Soon the Japanese will be selling Scotch north of Hadrian's Wall 8)

And welcome, Javelin.
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning