Hello From Dubai w/ my new Sony Alpha 300

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
AmericanGuyinDubai
Acolyte

Hello From Dubai w/ my new Sony Alpha 300

Unread post by AmericanGuyinDubai »

Howdy ya'll (born in L.A., relocated last year to Dubai from TN, long story),

First of all sorry :cry: to hear about the high gas prices in the U.S. ...here it is around $1.75 a gallon. The temp now is around 110F :oops: and it can get up to 120F in the next few months...at least you have better weather.

I recently returned from a 2 week vacation with my family. We visited Bangkok, Penang, and Jakarta. During this trip I purchased a Sony Alpha 300 (figured 10Mp was plenty). Prior to my purchase I read a review in Digital Photo (UK mag) and the Sony Alpha 350 (14.2 Mp)) won compared to the Nikon EOS 450D (12.2 Mp). They basically said the Nikon 450D was an upgraded 400. What sold me on the Sony was the mention of the better Menu Function lay out and TILT (up/dwn) display...nice.

I have always been interested in Photography and wished I had purchased a D-SLR sooner. I was amazed at the photos I was able to take with my new Sony Alpha. Using the Menus and Controls, it was easy to experiment with different settings. I only had to use the instruction manual a few times. The one thing I noticed was taking pics WITHOUT a flash was so much better. The image and colors looked so natural. This was easy to do using the no flash setting on the dial or the ISO button (Auto, 100, 200, 400 or 800). If you are moving up to a mid-range D-SLR look at the Sony Alpha 300 or 350.

I''ll be posting a few pics...
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Hello From Dubai w/ my new Sony Alpha 300

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

That petrol is only $1.75 a gallon because three gallons have evaporated in the heat while you are filling up, for every gallon you get into the tank :-)

A friend of mine who shoots underwater has just bought an A350 to use in a Ewa-Marine housing, because the live view is great with working on shallow dives - I guess you have access to some good beaches and dive sites in Dubai!

David
AmericanGuyinDubai
Acolyte

Unread post by AmericanGuyinDubai »

No doubt...

I have heard there is some decent diving close to Dubai but Phuket, Thailand and Boracy Philippines are my favorite places for diving.

Hey, I would like to upload some pix but I do not see an upload button. How do I do this?

Thanks
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You can use the Gallery -

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/coppermine

and link to the files, or upload to any public hosting like pBase, Flickr, Photobucket etc and put the link in your message - use the

Img

button above the message composing window to identify the URL you paste in as an image, and it will show.

David