Hello From Istanbul !

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
aster
Tower of Babel

Hello From Istanbul !

Unread post by aster »

Hello everyone,

I registered a few days ago and was very busy reading David's articles and lens reviews that I forgot to greet you sooner. I've been a genuine reader of David's savvy and informative input at the Dpreview forums along with C Garrad's in the short while I was around there. As I don't like sifting through many irrational personal opinions for the more honest and unbiased input all the time, I found it safer and more productive to be here instead. :D I can find all the information that I need about photography and equipment.

I never owned a Minolta and my first Sony camera was Sony dsc-V3 which I still own and love using. Then I moved onto the A100 and still learning of the ways that I can use it to its limits. Love taking macros at the moment with the Tamron 90mm and looking up lenses to improve my range. Any day now, I may purchase an A700 with the Carl-Zeiss 16-80 but thoughts that Sony may have some new surprises in for us keeps me from rushing in. Anything can happen in the most unexpected positive way...

Feels great to be here and learning... :D

Thanks for all the information David and hope everthing works out for the best, for you and this website which is a gem for those looking for the unbiased and the honest while still improving..

Yildiz
bossel
Viceroy

Re: Hello From Istanbul !

Unread post by bossel »

merhaba yildiz!

welcome and hoş geldiniz :mrgreen: from France!

You won't regret getting the A700, I just did. Anything else that Sony might release soon will be much more expensive. : :(

Thomas
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Welcome! I believe the A700 is still a safe purchase, and no replacement is likely for a year. If you consider the A900, the costs are very high. It will be launched with a new 24-105mm lens, and that is a large expensive lens not something like the old 24-105mm. You would looking at 4000-5000 euros for the basic kit, and a further 3000-4000 euros for the two essential wide-angle and tele zooms (though buying the 70-300mm in place of the 70-400mm would save).

And, don't assume that a 12 megapixel full frame will appear. I have praised the Nikon D3 highly and I am using a D700 right now. The ultra-high ISO of the D3 so impressed me (excellent performance at ISO 6400) that I did not do exact comparisons at settings like 400 and 800. I'm doing that with the D700, and I feel that the A700 can hold its own even against a full frame sensor. I may do a side by side test of this.

David
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Merhaba Thomas,
Hoş bulduk ! :D

What a wonderful way to welcome a Turkish citizen, and with precise spelling too!! I am immensely impressed ... believe me...you are very kind.

I've read in one of the forum threads that you have just purchased an A700 with a SAL 18-250 yourself and were very pleased and excited with the results, so thank you very much for the encouragement. Much appreciated... :D

Thanks- Teşekkürler
Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hello David,

Thanks for clearing some thoughts for me. Actually I was not expecting a 12MP full frame but I had begun considering the A900 with all the lateral expenses for the relevant lenses too. Financing issues for the whole kit is not what keeps me reluctant but if I will be able to use it to its full merits as I am not a full-time photographer to do it justice (though one never knows what the future holds). I live very close to the Sony dealer and everyday I have to brace myself to not go and pick one A700. You're right in that it wouldn't hurt to own one now at all, especially as I am planning getting more active with photography, shooting architecture, landscape and interiors in the near future.
I better start collecting some full-frame-compatible good-quality lenses. Purchasing a full-frame body will make more sense and reason then, as there will also be the feedback of the A900 owners to go by and consider.

You're very fortunate to test the D700 and have access to so many different brands and variety of lenses. Will be looking forward to any side-by-side reviews. Though I never had a D3 in my hands, I did sway towards it while reading one of the reviews where you spoke so favorably of the experience. Makes decisions even harder to make...

Thanks,
Yildiz