Hello from Manila

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
alissond
Acolyte

Hello from Manila

Unread post by alissond »

Hello photoclub alpha members!

A newbie here! Just registered!

Im Alisson. Im an Alpha 100 user. I started with the Sony H-5 camera, a bridge-type camera. An upgrade it is indeed.

I just had my a100 with me for less than a month now. I had seen the a100 at a sony store here in Manila when it was launched, but prices here were so damned out of reach. So I had to put it at the back of my mind. Then my brother chanced upon a really "good buy" A100 just this month. He is in Japan and after talking about things, (paying him back, shipping and taxes) I got my A100 a few days after my birthday. So I had a great gift for myself for my birthday and am so happy with the camera.

I got the alpha 100 body with a Sony 18-200mm lens.
Sony Alpha 100 Minolta AF35-70/4 70-210/4 3600HSD and a broken Sony 18-200

--Who makes your sensor?
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Hello from Manila

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hi alissond and welcome.
Congratulations for your A100. It's a good camera, I had it before upgrading to A700.
Nice shooting. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
alissond
Acolyte

Thanks for the welcome Dr. Harout!

--Who makes your sensor?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Welcome! The Alpha 100 is still better in some ways than any of the succeeding models, just be sure if you buy a spare battery to get the (better) NP-FM500H type which also fits the 200, 300, 350 and 700.

David
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hello allisond,

It's nice to have you here! :)
I purchased my Alpha 100 with the SAL 18-200 kit lens as well. Experts of lenses will soon warn you that it's not the best of lenses to accompany an Alpha DSLR though. Nowadays there's the bright and versatile Sony SAL 18-250 which is recommended for all-day-and-all-around purposes for much better results. I still have my 18-200 and had the opportunity of taking some of my better photos with it. I hope you enjoy your A100 as much as I do and make the most of everything it has to offer.

Have a great time,
Yildiz
alissond
Acolyte

Thanks for the welcome David and Aster!

Iam actually looking at buying an extra battery. David, if you say that the NP-FM500H battery is compatible with the A100, and that it is better, that's what I'll buy then.

For now I would need to settle with my SAL 18-200 lens, coz lens prices are so high. Well, I did try do some "bird shots", but I didn't get much useable results. It could be my technique too, so I would still try to go out and do some practice. I know it's not a CZ or even a G lens, but I'm sure I would be able to squeeze out some good results from it.

:lol:

--Who makes your sensor?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 18-200mm is fine, we used them (KM and Tamron versions) for two years or so before the 18-250mm appeared. The NP-FM500H battery is compatible, and has the advantage that it also fits later Sony Alphas, so if you traded up in future your spare battery could be kept. It has some intelligent circuitry which the Alpha 100 does not use, and should have a slightly better overall life, though some of that depends on the more advanced Sony double charger.

David