Is film dead ?

Devoted to film use, whether using the older manual Minolta system or AF/Dynax/Maxxum system from 1985 on
vitor
Acolyte

Is film dead ?

Unread post by vitor »

At least in this forum ... last post from 2016 :shock:

So what are your current photography film projects ?
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Is film dead ?

Unread post by mikeriach »

Vitor,

Sadly my only film camera is no longer fuctional but there is some merit in the old systems. Remember the 35mm film is "full frame" and yes I sometimes commented on the large size of the Dynax range of cameras but take a look at this. My old Dynax 700Si AF 35mm film camera and my current crop sensor DSLR. The old ways might have been better in some respects and of course the beautifully crafted MD range was even smaller.

Sadly I will have no more film projects.

Image20200408_195648 by Mike Riach, on Flickr

Image20200408_195739 by Mike Riach, on Flickr

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I don't think it's dead, but niche and has a bit of a cult/hipster type following (least from what I can see)
Not that everyone shooting film is a hipster ;-)
I have a roll of HP5 to develop, been there for a bit

I was thinking of doing film for the "post Covid-19" project I am working on, documenting the impact of this virus. But then again I can do it on digital and does it make much difference? I do like the look of film some in the freezer long term b&w and colour.
Two film 7's working fine, I also have a 60 and a couple of 5's that do need to get some more use
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I had a 700Si but when tidying a few weeks ago I discovered the shell had cracked from the top plate down to the mount boss. Definitely wasnt like that when I put it away. Also some goo leaking out of the crack. Does it have an internal battery perhaps? Anyway I sold the battery grip and the 5400 flash.
I still have an X300 somewhere if I look hard enough.
You never know......

Barry, the 7 is a superb film camera. I thought the 700Si was good till I got the 7.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.