What kind of car do you drive?

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic

What kind of transmission(s) do you have right now?

1st car: Manual
23%
1st car: Automatic
25%
1st car: Other
2%
2nd car: Manual
21%
2nd car: Automatic
15%
2nd car: Other
No votes
3rd car: Manual
6%
3rd car: Automatic
4%
3rd car: Other
2%
Do not drive
2%

Total votes: 48

KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: What kind of car do you drive?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

So far the votes confirm my suspicion, that photographers prefer a manual transmission, at least more than others do. Here in the states, something like 9 out of 10 cars sold are equipped with automatic transmissions. Many models here aren't even available with a manual. So, to have numbers even close to a 50:50 ratio between cars with clutches and cars without, I'll call it a significant difference.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Greg Beetham wrote:ps. Bossel does the tour go through where you are this year? seems like a good chance for a few shots.
Arrgghh don't make me cry. I came home from work on Friday early, with 39C and stayed in bed most of the weekend :?

The tour passed 5km from here, I've seen it on TV, all the places where I often go for a walk with my wife. Too bad. Anyway, a friend of mine is hobby photographer and cyclist, I am sure he was there and will show me his pics later!
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

KevinBarrett wrote:So far the votes confirm my suspicion, that photographers prefer a manual transmission, at least more than others do.
I am currently driving a car with dual-cludge (DSG) - really love it. I had manual and traditional automatic before, but I guess DSG is the way to go. Becoming increasingly popular in Europe.
seat2.jpg
seat1.jpg

(pics taken 4 years ago with my trustorthy Nikon 2mpix P&S)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

bossel wrote:
Greg Beetham wrote:ps. Bossel does the tour go through where you are this year? seems like a good chance for a few shots.
Arrgghh don't make me cry. I came home from work on Friday early, with 39C and stayed in bed most of the weekend :?

The tour passed 5km from here, I've seen it on TV, all the places where I often go for a walk with my wife. Too bad. Anyway, a friend of mine is hobby photographer and cyclist, I am sure he was there and will show me his pics later!
Dang, oh well they go through at 70KMH+ so you wouldn't have time for much more than a couple of quick shots of the peloton I guess...on a side issue I've often wondered how long it is after they pass through that the road is opened back up again because when they go up into the mountains some of the spectators must have camped up there for at least a day before, might be a bit of a traffic jam with everyone leaving for home afterwards....
Greg

ps. I meant too ask, what is the transmisson in a car like your's, can you elaborate.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Greg Beetham wrote:ps. I meant too ask, what is the transmisson in a car like your's, can you elaborate.
Basically it's an automatic gearbox without the disadvantages of higher fuel consumption or loss of power. Works by having two half gearboxes (e.g. one for gears 1,3,5 and one for 2,4,5) and two cludges. You can check here for a short introduction to DSG: http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyouneedt ... Gworks.htm

Or google it, there are oodles of articles about it. Btw it's generally mentioned with Volkswagen and Audi, but my Seat Altea is basically a Golf Plus (for the sportives like me :mrgreen: ). Most other car builders also work on releasing something similar.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ok I've got the concept, I'm not sure how you can have two gearboxes, one egaged and one not, with one input shaft and one output shaft to the both in tandem simultaneously...unless it's some kind of planetary input and the same on the output...hmm interesting.
Greg
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

My wife can't drive a stick - or should I say, can't keep a clutch or gearbox together when she tries - so all of ours are automatics.

Since I only buy used cars, I'm not too picky. I've had plenty of each over the years. I prefer the simplicity of a clutch as well as the durability. However, modern automatics have gotten much better over the last several years, often going 250K miles with nothing more than fluid and filter changes every 60K miles.

Dusty
KevinBarrett

Dusty wrote:My wife can't drive a stick - or should I say, can't keep a clutch or gearbox together when she tries - so all of ours are automatics.

Since I only buy used cars, I'm not too picky. I've had plenty of each over the years. I prefer the simplicity of a clutch as well as the durability. However, modern automatics have gotten much better over the last several years, often going 250K miles with nothing more than fluid and filter changes every 60K miles.

Dusty
So what kind of car does a guy drive when he's not picky? I buy used as well, but considering "used" drives the price down, I view that as my opportunity to be pickier than if I bought new.
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

Must say that not only to I prefer an automatic transmission these days, I prefer diesel motors.. much more economical.. must be my age.. lol..
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

KevinBarrett wrote: So what kind of car does a guy drive when he's not picky? I buy used as well, but considering "used" drives the price down, I view that as my opportunity to be pickier than if I bought new.
Not picky as to tranny. We have a Hyundai wagon I use for the daily drive and a Chevy Astro van. We still haven't got around to selling the Ford Windstar van that it replaced. The Astro is a bit bigger, and will do 3 carseats across for the little ones. BTW, Elizabeth is 5 today, just 3 more years in a carseat!

I buy for price/condition when I buy cars for myself. I'll take a bigger or smaller car that ideal if I get a good deal, or maybe a newer car that has a bit of a problem that I can solve easily.

Before the wife started mandating the minivans, I've had totally tricked out hot rods (I was younger then), MG Migdets, Lincoln Continentals, run-of-the-mill Chevys, Pontiacs, Fords, Chryslers, VWs, what have you. Now I just don't want car payments!

Dusty
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

The survey is odd, as transmission type isn't really a major factor.

I'm a car guy, and my career is largely based around them and similar vehicle (hybrid vehicles), Yet at the same time, I'm a very practical person when it comes to them.

I currently can only have one car (I live in apartments). So that's a big factor. For me a car is a tool, and I focus on all around practicality. So I have a crew cab toyota tocoma (hilux basicaly for non Americans), 4wheel drive, auto. It wasn't the ideal solution, but better solutions either don't exist (or not in this country), or cost far to much. Before it I had a ford focus, which was far from practical. Way to small, uncomforable, un-versital. The truck is small, gets good milage, carries 4 people very comfy, gets me to where I need to go on weekends and I don't need to worry about issues of groundclearance, much, etc. The focus was stopped in it's tracks many times due to various hurdles.

Idealy, I'd have a smaller 4 door SUV. But a body on frame, 4x4, diesel, powersplit hybrid SUV doesn't exist. Ford Escape is closest thing and it has to many drawbacks from what I am looking for.

If I lived elsewhere and could have multiple vehicles, I'd have a weekend truck, and a small beater car for going to work.

I don't like having a fleet of cars, just makes no sense. Nor does having an extreme vehicle. Such as a car that gets great milage but does nothing else well, or a super off road truck that fails most everything else.

On the transmission, I've alternated back and forth through time from manual and auto. Last car was manual, this one is auto. Photography played a big part in it being auto. I can't understand a photographer going manual. It's very difficult to drive and shoot at the same time with manual. Going up twisty mountain passes and trying to look at the scenes or take a shot is a PITA with manual. Also pulling off and jumping out real quick is a problem with manual, unless you really want to trust it being in neutral and the parking brake holding it. So photography killed any thought of buying a manual. But also I live in the city, so manual is just torture.

Of course, I build hybrids for a living, so the ideal transmission to me is a Power Split hybrid, which gives you a CVT due to the planetary in it. It's the ultimate transmission.

The manual transmission is going extinct anyways, so folks who like them better get it out of their system. They are all but dead in the US due to emissions regs, and they get harder all the time. The increase in CAFE standards for mileage will further kill off manuals. Europe follows the US on emission standards by a lot. As they get up to speed, Europeans will see manuals go away too. We don't have most the cars sold in Europe because they won't meet US emissions and crash-safety standards. Different laws since the 70s is what has caused American cars (those for sale in the US that is, not country of origin) to be so different from those in Japan and Europe. Laws drove everything in a different direction. US went for emissions and safety. Asia and Europe for mileage. Europe had no emission regs till late 80s. And thus why there is so many tiny diesels there and not in the US. Manuals get phased out because any potential for efficiency gain is defeated by the driver running it. A computer knows how to drive for milage and emissions, people in general don't. Also auto's have got much more efficient. Thus why many models where both transmissions are offered the auto gets better milage. As regulations get harder, they need to remove the human from the equation.
calpon
Initiate

Unread post by calpon »

Manual tranny Acura TL. 6 years old and hope to get another 6-8 years more years so I can give it to my son (If there is any more gas to be had)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

PhotoTraveler wrote: Manuals get phased out because any potential for efficiency gain is defeated by the driver running it. A computer knows how to drive for milage and emissions, people in general don't. Also auto's have got much more efficient. Thus why many models where both transmissions are offered the auto gets better milage. As regulations get harder, they need to remove the human from the equation.
This is very interesting as in the UK the CO2 emissions listed for automatics are almost without exception higher than for their manual equivalents. Company car tax in the UK is based soley around CO2 and so for me, a company car driver, I always go for the manual. I may have been tempted by a semi-automatic (flippy padels?) but for CO2 listings. Traditionally automatics in the UK have been an expensive luxury item on cars. This is starting to change.

Through choice I like Landrovers, no logical reason, just the grrrr , boys toys type of thing. Through spending my life on motorways and company car tax I drive an uber efficient BMW 3 series Tourer. Our home car is a Peugot 207 as the dealer is just down the road, friendly and gave us a good deal :D

Fascinating thread - well done Kevin.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
KevinBarrett

calpon wrote:(If there is any more gas to be had)
A good observation. I am sure there will be gasoline, but the cost of it will be prohibitively high. Your grandchildren, if you have any, and if you have some ancient collectible car, may give you a gallon of gasoline at Christmas so that you can relive the glory days and drive around the block.

I have a feeling we'll stretch our last bit as far as it will go. There is still a solid infrastructure of public roads and gasoline distribution, and we will not readily abandon it. Before the end, cars will be fully electric at the wheels with a small gasoline motor running at peak efficiency to recharge the batteries only.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I suppose one could always retrofit a modern fission power-cell steam turbine when petrol runs out so one could contimue to enjoy that classic/vintage automobile. :)
Greg

ps. Things might get a little dodgy if deisel runs out in the meantime though, just imagine no farm tractors, no trucks, no cargo ships, no trains....planes are banned for nonessential trips...they use tonnes of fuel each on just one trip.