Kodachrome 4x5 photos from WWII

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Kodachrome 4x5 photos from WWII

Unread post by bakubo »

Cool WWII color photos made with Kodachrome film in 4x5 inch format.

http://pavel-kosenko.livejournal.com/30 ... d=22669914
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Kodachrome 4x5 photos from WWII

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Those images have been available for quite a while on at least one US web site, and I never get tired of looking at them.

For anyone who works in the aerospace industry, they positively YELL "Posed propaganda photos", and I suspect that they do for the average person also. However, IMO they are superbly executed examples of images that do what they are intended to do.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Wow! how good are those? :shock: Great skill and amazing light control for those days using a clunky system, mostly all staged of course but exceptional just the same.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

UrsaMajor wrote:For anyone who works in the aerospace industry, they positively YELL "Posed propaganda photos", and I suspect that they do for the average person also. However, IMO they are superbly executed examples of images that do what they are intended to do.
Yes, I assumed everyone would know that these are posed. Are you also saying these are models in all the photos though? I suspect that they are real workers.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I'm sure I've seen some of these before, but they are great nevertheless - thanks for sharing Henry :)

Not only are they great pictures with super lighting as Greg says, but the detail and clarity of the shots amazes me - I love the vivid colours. Almost makes me want to shoot film :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:I'm sure I've seen some of these before, but they are great nevertheless - thanks for sharing Henry :)

Not only are they great pictures with super lighting as Greg says, but the detail and clarity of the shots amazes me - I love the vivid colours. Almost makes me want to shoot film :)
The look/color of these photos reminds me of my old 1970s Kodachrome slides.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

What's really amazing is that they were working with and ASA (now ISO) speed rating of 8. My uncle shot some of that in the early 40's and last time I saw the slides (early '90s) they still looked great!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

bakubo wrote:Yes, I assumed everyone would know that these are posed. Are you also saying these are models in all the photos though? I suspect that they are real workers.
No intent on my part to imply that they are not real workers, just that the shots were posed. (One hint is how immaculate the hands were of the people in the images. They just don't (can't) stay that clean on the production line.)

With best wishes,
- Tom -
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Dusty wrote:What's really amazing is that they were working with and ASA (now ISO) speed rating of 8. My uncle shot some of that in the early 40's and last time I saw the slides (early '90s) they still looked great!
In 1961 I was shooting Kodachrome at the auto races, frequently from only a few feet from the track. As I recall, Kodachrome was ASA 10 at that time, and I also managed to shoot a few rolls of the just introduced Kodachrome II, which had a 'high-speed" rating of ASA 25.

I learned very quickly the value of panning to follow the motion of the subject - and also learned the value of a fast lens.

Ah, the good old days . . .

With best wishes,
- Tom -
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

wow :0
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Yes the shots are posed, and I've seen them before..but still very much worth a look. They do really make you think about times back then and their lives.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I'm sure all or nearly all of those where shot w/ tungsten, but last night I had the pleasure of explaining to my 8 year old what a flash bulb was and how it worked.

Somewhere there is a whole series of shots that used massive amounts of flashbulbs to light scenes such as railroad bridges.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).