Brexit reality will bite in 2021

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Brexit reality will bite in 2021

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Being a UK citizen but not resident for most of the time. Things have changed quite dramatically since the so called trade deal was announced.
Due to import charges on non UK made goods (that basically covers most electronic items and goods including camera gear) as well as hitting many other types of products.
This means that I've now switched to buying items from Amazon UK to Amazon Germany, as I have no choice to avoid duties.
It also means I can't realistically expect to sell any products to UK buyers, or for them to sell to EU countries. Any eBay bargains are non existent with charges, in fact you can now see these added to many listings. Many EU companies are no longer delivering to the UK, and even UK companies face additional hurdles/costs to get goods to Ireland (there are larger grocery companies here like Tesco etc). Many of these UK companies have also pretty much lost their European sales too.

Over the course of 2021, it is quite clear that this will mean significant reduction in trade and an increase in prices/loss of jobs. It is quite sad, unfortunately I can't do anything about it. I have a new blue UK passport coming soon (made in France lol), as I have to have some form of ID in case I travel, and I have lost my right to reside in other EU countries (this doesn't apply to Ireland as it's part of the agreement on the common travel area).

It is very sad to see, but the consequences are only just being felt. It's a very weak trade deal which covers very few areas
Hopefully over time we will see things change, once the populism shine wears off - project reality will start to bite. In the midst of a global pandemic - the long term effects are going to be significant.