Skype sound quality on Eee PC

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Skype sound quality on Eee PC

Unread post by bakubo »

David, you have mentioned a couple of times that you use an Eee PC with Skype when you travel so this is mostly for you, but certainly if anyone else can help then that would be great!

About a month ago I bought an Asus Eee PC 900HA. I am having a bit of a problem using Skype (current version) on it though. I use a headset/microphone combo. When I receive a call on Skype the sound is very poor. It sounds like the other person is way down at the bottom of a well and the volume isn't good. I have tried the things suggested on the Skype website, but nothing improves the sound. Some of the settings make it worse though. The default is the best.

Now for a bit of background info. I also have an HP Vista notebook, Gateway Vista notebook, and Sony WinXP notebook and 2 identical headset/microphone sets. Skype sounds okay on all of them using the same headset/microphone. Now, before you suggest that the problem originates with the caller's equipment, as a test my wife and I used Skype on the various computers in all combinations to talk to each other. The only time that there was a sound problem was when using the 900HA.

Any ideas? Is the sound okay for you? Thanks!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Skype sound quality on Eee PC

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No idea, but I get the same on my Mac. It may be down to the wireless networking efficiency. My Asus EeePC is actually better than the Mac for not breaking up or echoing with Skype. I suspect Skype was written for PCs and maybe has ported badly to Unix based systems?

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Skype sound quality on Eee PC

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:No idea, but I get the same on my Mac. It may be down to the wireless networking efficiency. My Asus EeePC is actually better than the Mac for not breaking up or echoing with Skype. I suspect Skype was written for PCs and maybe has ported badly to Unix based systems?
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention, but my 900HA is running WinXP. As for as wireless network efficiency, I have a wireless router set up and all the notebook computers connect wirelessly. The only one that has the Skype sound problem is the 900HA. By the way, when I use the 900HA with Skype the person at the other end of the call can hear me fine. It is only the Skype sound quality on the 900HA end that is the problem. It is disappointing since I bought it for travel and want to use Skype on it. Of course, I can still use it, but the sound is pretty bad compared to my 3 other notebook computers.