Hitler rants about the D3x

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Hitler rants about the D3x

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

The Sony a900 gets a nod in the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwf2RShNV0
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Hitler rants about the D3x

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

It's clever, I'll grant the creator of the sketch that much, but Hitler was just about the most un-funny man in the universe, ever, so even with liberal doses of today's reverse logic/humour it rates a hmmmm for me.
Greg
Last edited by Greg Beetham on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

Let me subscribe all your words, Greg. You have given expression to my own feelings: more clever than funny.
Alfonso
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Hitler was no worse that Stalin or Mao Zedong in practice.

The problem is the continuing attraction he has for so many diverse groups.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I took it for what it was, just funny! Very well done video ;-)

I think we are all adult enough not to be offended by a joke. Good film too, well worth a watch, very few actors could pull Hitler off, but he does it amazingly well. A very disturbing, but gripping film, least I thought so...
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

It is hilarious! A real riot. :D

Here is the guy who made it:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=30270167

It is not offensive at all. Hitler has been used for comedy for a very long time. Remember Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJOuoyoMhj8

Also, remember Mel Brooks in To Be or Not To Be? Take a look at his Hitler musical number:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv3pm0veWQI

And rap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCY4rpcMtAQ

And also Mel Brooks' The Producers and another musical number in the Springtime for Hitler play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K08akOt2kuo

And in the recent remake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozpSFlin3mI
Last edited by bakubo on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

Barry, Don, Peter, Henry: After reading your posts I feel I should make it clear that basically I agree with you: The sketch is obviously intended as a joke, it is well made (I am no expert in film making, but it made me smile more than once) and, of course, I don’t think it’s offensive at all… But somehow after watching it I got the same mixed feelings Greg was (I think) expressing. I am not sure why. Probably it is the enormous distance between the historical significance of Hitler and the historical insignificance of the Nikon D3x’s price (I don’t have mixed feelings at all about the masterpieces listed by Henry), but perhaps it could be simply that I am at this moment a bit oversensitive about this subject (these days I am lecturing on Albert Einstein). Anyway, I am sure we all agree that the Nikon D3x is a truly invaluable camera… (And by the way, Kevin: a belated thank you for the link.)
Alfonso
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

There will always be some discomfort, when somebody like Adolf Hitler is used for a joke or anything else. One cannot imagine the terrible and appalling things happened because of him. I doubt any of us could even guess at the despair that he caused, all around. A friend of mine, his father was part of the group that discovered Bergen-Belsen, and he told me he never once spoke of it, and came back to the UK a different man. I think some sights are so terrible, that you cannot use words to describe them.

In my teens, doing history, I was very interested in military and tactical areas of WW II, from a purely strategic/historic point. I have read much about Hitler, and his commanders. So I am not offended by the mention of his name (some are), swastikas do not offend me either (it's a peace symbol as it happens), but no doubt if there were someone in my family who suffered, then that would be different. These things happened, and I don't subscribe to the "say nothing" thoughts of some people. I found the film rather interesting, and depressing at the same time, but surely a story that needs to be told. If anyone has not seen "downfall" then I would encourage them to do so, evidently it is about as authentic as it could be, in this day and age. I have a great love of films (all sorts) and this left a lasting impression on me. You honestly do feel like you are in that bunker, the despair really does come across..some very sad scenes. Bruno Ganz, what a performance, you feel like he is Hitler. The best thing about the movie, is that it does not try to enforce a view on you, it leaves you to make your own mind up.

But the joke video is hilarious, I won't be able to watch the film again with that scene, very well done indeed! I bet Nikon are not too pleased..so just enjoy it for what it is..clever!
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

As Barry said, Nikon will be hoping that this doesn't go far. If this escapes beyond a part the photographic community this could do damage to the brand name. A bit like Wagner being Hitler's ace composer.

I think they will be hoping that today's news is tomorrows fish and chip wrapping.

But it does make a wonderful response to the next Nikonite making a boor of themselves at a Christmas party
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

peterottaway wrote:As Barry said, Nikon will be hoping that this doesn't go far. If this escapes beyond a part the photographic community this could do damage to the brand name.
Ooops! I hope I didn't do anything wrong, but I already sent the video link to several of my friends. :)
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Hope not, but it is all ready doing the rounds of photo sites. It will probably be good for a laugh for a couple of days, but unless it's " Oprahed " then by Christmas the only people still thinking about it will be the Nikon exec's who made the pricing on the D3x and their PR people. And they deserve it !

But you just have to look at the various Urban Myths peddled about the Apple Mac, the iPod ( the iTunes store in particular - hello Norway ) and the iPhone to see what can happen. That being said how many iPod users are aware of them or care ?

Or what Pako reported about the camera hire manager who didn't know that the Minolta mount and the Sony mount were the same.

The Hitler Rant is very good and it did cause me to shudder somewhat the first time I saw it.Hopefully for the Canon, Olympus, Pentax and Sony enthusiasts of the world it's just really fun at the Nikonista's expense.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I've discovered that it has actually been an internet fad to re-caption this scene. You can find versions about everything from game consoles to baked beans.

It would seem me that the surest way to inoculate angry or hateful youth against following his memory in neo-nazism or becoming "skin heads," would be to make him the butt of ridiculous jokes. However, while this is little justice for his victims, it also runs the risk of causing us to identify or feel sympathy for Hitler. "Aww, look, Nikon let down Hitler..." What is worse? Hitler's atrocities or Nikon's pricing blunder?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

My friend in France tells me that he got this message from youtube when he tried to view the video:

"this video is not available in your country"
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

bakubo wrote:My friend in France tells me that he got this message from youtube when he tried to view the video:

"this video is not available in your country"
I just checked, and yes, it's been removed. Though I watched it 2 days ago. Not sure why it was pulled. Either because Europeans are more sensitive to this guy, or simply because it's a copyright violation of the movie, dunno.

Btw, if you search youtube, you can find other copies of the video.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Nope still there for me. perhaps theres some censor-ship going on in France?