Kodachrome 64....

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Kodachrome 64....

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Well they said it would happen, and it did. I expect they will sell out of the stuff fairly soon as photogs who like the film stockpile it. I have 2 rolls..yet to ever shoot a frame on KK 64. Typical, I buy a few rolls, and Kodak pull the plug! I bought the 5d, it arrives the day KM pull out of the camera business :?

I am not a slide shooter, not really, but I can appreciate the unique look of that film. It's a sad day for film photographers. I have to be honest, I have one Ektar roll left (accident with the other one, don't ask!)

After that, I am in the mind to not bother buying a single roll of Kodak film again..why? Well some companies can make a really good product, and some make mostly junk ones. Kodak's digital compacts are mostly poor. Bar one I used. The P880, which was impressive..nice camera, warts and flaws..but lovely tonality for a digital, I should have bought one.. What do Kodak do? They let it die and never bring out a new version.

My opinion of Kodak is not very high..they are a has been..and not deserving.

For film from now on, it's Fuji and Ilford all the way..ya boo sucks to kodak :evil:
bfitzgerald

Re: Kodachrome 64....

Slide film is, well for want of a better word, on the "slide" sales wise :shock:

Finding somewhere to get the stuff developed is the main problem. Most labs will do colour negs, no problems..few do slides.
Hence the reason many are shooting with negs now. Turnaround for me is about 30 mins from my lab, I chop it up myself. It makes things easy enough time wise. I would be waiting at least 5-7 days for normal slides to get back. Won't be long before other slide films get the chop..bar maybe Velvia which has a loyal following. Just a shame to see it go. I thought it would go for a few years more at least.

The only problem with negs is they are not so easy to scan, but I have worked hard on getting good scans, so that one is cracked for me. I stayed well away from digital in the early days, way too expensive..lacking quality..it's good now.and cheap, hence the popularity. I won't be giving up my film though, it offers something unique to some of us.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Well they said it would happen, and it did. I expect they will sell out of the stuff fairly soon as photogs who like the film stockpile it. I have 2 rolls..yet to ever shoot a frame on KK 64. Typical, I buy a few rolls, and Kodak pull the plug! I bought the 5d, it arrives the day KM pull out of the camera business :?
If you shoot your roll of K64 I think you will still be able to get it processed. A roll of film is a one-time use product so the fact that Kodak no longer sells it will not prevent you from using the one you have.
bfitzgerald wrote: After that, I am in the mind to not bother buying a single roll of Kodak film again..why? Well some companies can make a really good product, and some make mostly junk ones. Kodak's digital compacts are mostly poor. Bar one I used. The P880, which was impressive..nice camera, warts and flaws..but lovely tonality for a digital, I should have bought one.. What do Kodak do? They let it die and never bring out a new version.
Yes, their attempts at digital have been mostly very lame. But, what does that have to do with their film? They make good film. If you had bought more K64 then maybe they wouldn't be in such dire straits and would not discontinue K64. :)
bfitzgerald wrote: My opinion of Kodak is not very high..they are a has been..and not deserving.
Very sad, but probably true. They just can't seem to transition to digital.
AJ Gressette
Initiate

Unread post by AJ Gressette »

I really hate Mondays! This news just completely ruined a very bad day. I cant say how much I really appreciate this.!! !@#$*&&^$#@Q$%ERQ$#%...........

I guess Mamma has finally taken away my Kodacrome!

Kodacrome 25, 64 and Fujicrome 50 (shot at iso 40) are my favorite films. If Fuji does the same I'm going to shoot the neighbors dog! LOL

Kodacrome has always been tricky to scan with a film scanner. I have found that prints hand made (custom) "directly" from the K-25&64 are simply amazing. For digital you really need a very high end drum scanner to produce the quality of this film in digital format.

I still have some bulk rolls frozen in 25 and 64 and I think I should go ahead and load what I have into canisters and shoot them. Soon there will be no place to process K-14.

Dwayne's Photo in Parsons Kansas, USA, still offers processing and services for Kodacrome films.

You just got to love Monday's :shock:
AJ
South Carolina
Hey this looks dangerous.......You go first!
If at first you do not succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
bfitzgerald

bakubo wrote: Yes, their attempts at digital have been mostly very lame. But, what does that have to do with their film? They make good film. If you had bought more K64 then maybe they wouldn't be in such dire straits and would not discontinue K64. :)

Ha ha very funny. Had I have bought 1000 rolls of the stuff it would make no difference!

I am mocking Kodak, yes that is correct..sure they do "some" good films, esp b&w ones. Colour negative, IMO they are 2nd best to fuji for most emulsions. Their ISO 400 max one was frankly one of the worst neg films I have ever used, poor DR..unappealing tonality, not impressed..gave the other rolls away.

Ektar is pretty good, but too cooked for my tastes, but why they say try this over KK..as an alternative, nothing like KK in any way.

I'll be sticking to my guns on this one, no more Kodak for me..bye bye, Fujifilm and Ilford all the way :mrgreen:
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The Fuji Distinctions awards are based entirely on film shooting. We have just introduced a new Silver Imaging Award into the Master Photographers Association annual awards (my suggestion) and this is an open class - non-members can enter. See http://www.thempa.com

David
bfitzgerald

Shame I took my last batch on digital.

I managed to find an MPA member in my area, interestingly they also have some shots of the gap of dunloe ;-)

I'll be willing to accept a honorary fellowship of the MPA :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

I found the link for the compo here:
http://www.fujifilmdistinctions.co.uk/index.htm