Has Blu ray failed?

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Has Blu ray failed?

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I ran across this article, and I found it interesting:

http://www.cringely.com/2009/06/is-blu-ray-a-failure/

I have to agree with some points, blu ray does not appear to have had the impact expected by some. Being into the Pc side of things, whilst the cost of drives has dropped, the media is still expensive, and whilst the drives are on more pc's..it is nowhere near as universal as DVD was/is, few I know burn to blu-ray.

Nice to have the big storage, but I see the format as an stop gap for something else, better, and more affordable (esp media wise) to come through at some point. Let's not forget the CD-Rom was a revolution for computers, that was extended with DVD, but Blu-ray has not done as well. Also movie wise, DVD is still vastly more dominant..maybe for movie lovers, DVD really is good enough (for now)

So what do you think, is Blu ray a failure?

I suspect they tried to replace DVD far too soon, look at the audio CD, it's alive and well. Reason? Everyone has a cd player, bringing a new format out..whilst it would be better, you have the adoption problem..no hardware out there to play it, few will buy it. Tech might move fast at times, but universal counts for a lot more.