Photoclubalpha Mag 2009 Issue #3

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
Birma
Tower of Babel

Photoclubalpha Mag 2009 Issue #3

Unread post by Birma »

Latest version of the mag is out. Mine was waiting at home when I got back today. I will not spoil the anticipation by revealing any details :D . Very nice cover though. I don't suppose the photographer is on the forum and could talk us through getting the shot (once everyone has got their copy of course)?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Photoclubalpha Mag 2009 Issue #3

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Impatiently waiting. :shock:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Birma wrote:Very nice cover though
+1
wildabout
Acolyte

Unread post by wildabout »

The adult mice had been released into the wild as part of a reintroduction program-because of this they do not have any great fear of humans,so when young are born they behave like the adults(this is the main reason that the release site is kept low key-so they have as little contact as possible,and thus eventualy become wary and able to survive)
The photograph was taken by putting the camera on a tripod with me sitting in a bag hide next to a nest where the mice had young that where still living in the nest,but starting to explore their surroundings-so focusing on the stems of wheat above the nest and waiting for them to come out and start climbing was the longest part of taking the image .
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Carl, I applaud your patience, as well as skill with the camera. Thanks for replying to my query. I just love that image :D . The surrounding context for the main subject is just perfect. For me this is right up there with the awesome Kingfishers from Gustav. I guess with the 50/2.8 you had to be pretty close?
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

Birma wrote:Latest version of the mag is out. Mine was waiting at home when I got back today. I will not spoil the anticipation by revealing any details :D .
I think the image on the bottom right hand corner of p23 is amazing.

Harvey
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

Like others I love that front cover photo, it makes me rather guilty thinking of all the harvest mice I trapped in previous years in my garage, because they were eating the rubber covered wiring and foam insulation in my car. You will be pleased to know I no longer try to trap them, it was pointless, because there seemed to be an infinite number of them. Harvest time is coming again and I expect another great wave of mice leaving the field for my garage very soon.
David
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

braeside wrote:Like others I love that front cover photo, it makes me rather guilty thinking of all the harvest mice I trapped in previous years in my garage, because they were eating the rubber covered wiring and foam insulation in my car. You will be pleased to know I no longer try to trap them, it was pointless, because there seemed to be an infinite number of them. Harvest time is coming again and I expect another great wave of mice leaving the field for my garage very soon.
A photo opportunity then, perhaps? 'The raid of the mice'...

(Sorry, couldn't resist.. but it would be a scene worth seeing) :)

Yildiz
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

Cracking edition again

Is that an advert for the secret new Sonyma 850.5 on the back cover :lol:
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

braeside wrote:Like others I love that front cover photo, it makes me rather guilty thinking of all the harvest mice I trapped in previous years in my garage, because they were eating the rubber covered wiring and foam insulation in my car. You will be pleased to know I no longer try to trap them, it was pointless, because there seemed to be an infinite number of them. Harvest time is coming again and I expect another great wave of mice leaving the field for my garage very soon.

Try moth-balls (paradiclorobenzene). They hate the smell. Also pack any entry holes with steel wool. They don't seem to be able to get thru that.

Dusty
braeside
Grand Caliph

Dusty wrote:

Try moth-balls (paradiclorobenzene). They hate the smell. Also pack any entry holes with steel wool. They don't seem to be able to get thru that.

Dusty
Thanks Dusty, when the car was new (7 years ago) I was obsessive about keeping it in prime condition and tried everything to keep the mice out of the engine compartment including moth balls, peppermint spray, and other suggestions. Actually I think it seemed to attract them even more. There is no way to keep the garage itself sealed, as they can squeeze through the smallest of holes, even as small as the diameter of a biro pen. They are destructive little things, but I have learned to live with it and they seem less attracted to the car now, perhaps because it has lost its attractive new plastic/rubber smell over time. I have used steel wool to plug up an entry into my house where I once had a mouse enter. Fortunately they have not returned.
David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Are you really talking harvest mice? They are extremely rare. Field mice, which often invade homes, are not rare. I can not understand why we do not have mice. We have a hen, and had hens plural, with food. We have underfloor space, and lath and plaster walls which even 200 years ago were built with a cavity between the inner skin and the 2ft of solid stone making up the structural wall. But in 20 years, I have never seen a mouse. A few rats, but not one single house or field mouse.

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

David Kilpatrick wrote:...but not one single house or field mouse

It must be the cats DK - I can't believe you only keep them for low light lens noise tests :D
braeside
Grand Caliph

Could be Field Mice David - I didn't realise they were different from Harvest Mice, I confess I didn't give them a close examination in the traps, and it seemed such a shame to kill them, so I have stopped.

No doubt the cat helps in your case. Next door's cat, despite only having 3 legs is a hunter and keeps the rabbits under control, which were an absolute menace before the cat.
David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Yesterday I saw one of our cats with a rat in her mouth. Who said cats don't hunt rats?
Unfortunately my camera wasn't near. :(
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr