Would you recommend the HDR-XR520VE ?

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
aster
Tower of Babel

Would you recommend the HDR-XR520VE ?

Unread post by aster »

Hello all, :)

I've been interested in the High Definition camcorder for some time and am curious if, being the experimentation-loving people that we are, any of you would be recommending it?

Apart from a good dslr still camera, I found that I also might be needing something like it during the past weeks.

What do you say? Should I buy it or go for better options?

Thank you,

Yildiz

HDR-XR520VE
Last edited by aster on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Would you recommend the HDR-XR520VE ?

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I think I'll be going for a Bloggie (until they bring a video DSRL)
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1666073267
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Would you recommend the HDR-XR520VE?

Unread post by 01af »

aster wrote:What do you say? Should I buy it or go for better options?
I bought exactly this camera four months ago, and I definitely can recommend it. That said, you also should take a serious look at the equivalent models from Canon and Panasonic in that price category; those are very good too. Still, I prefer the Sony by a small margin.

For a significantly better option, you'd have to spend at least twice as much.

I also bought a 0.7× wide-angle converter (Sony VCL-HGA07), and I do consider this an essential accessory. A telephoto converter is not needed in my opinion---it's next to impossible to make good use of such a beast without a tripod; the long end of the built-in lens is more than long enough for any hand-held shooting. Anyway, whatever you buy: steer clear of cheap converters!

A much harder decision to make is the choice of a video processing software. I opted for Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 ... and I am not sure this was the best choice. Maybe it was ... maybe I am just not familiar with the video processing workflow yet. It's very different from processing still images, and very time-consuming. Get ready for climbing a learning curve! And make sure you have a powerful computer and vast amounts of free hard disk space!

-- Olaf
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Pako, :)

The Bloggie looks like the Sony HDR-TG7VE which provides some high-definition qualities and managable image sizes. A good choice for carrying in the purse and pocket of one's jacket/shirt.

Thank you, I'll look closer to the small bodies.

Yildiz

HDR-TG7VE
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Would you recommend the HDR-XR520VE?

Unread post by aster »

Thank you very much for the very-detailed personal thoughts Olaf. :)

They are very helpful indeed and I will also look for the Sony wide-angle converter. I hope they have it in stock.
Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 sounds good as I'm also familiar with the software which would save me some time. I also purchased several terabytes of external hard-drives to move most of my stored work which enabled a good amount of free space. I may have to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 (64byte) to make use of the extra Ram for better graphic card progress and efficiency...

Much appreciated...Thanks.

Yildiz

01af wrote:
aster wrote:What do you say? Should I buy it or go for better options?
I bought exactly this camera four months ago, and I definitely can recommend it. That said, you also should take a serious look at the equivalent models from Canon and Panasonic in that price category; those are very good too. Still, I prefer the Sony by a small margin.

For a significantly better option, you'd have to spend at least twice as much.

I also bought a 0.7× wide-angle converter (Sony VCL-HGA07), and I do consider this an essential accessory. A telephoto converter is not needed in my opinion---it's next to impossible to make good use of such a beast without a tripod; the long end of the built-in lens is more than long enough for any hand-held shooting. Anyway, whatever you buy: steer clear of cheap converters!

A much harder decision to make is the choice of a video processing software. I opted for Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 ... and I am not sure this was the best choice. Maybe it was ... maybe I am just not familiar with the video processing workflow yet. It's very different from processing still images, and very time-consuming. Get ready for climbing a learning curve! And make sure you have a powerful computer and vast amounts of free hard disk space!

-- Olaf
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

aster wrote:The Bloggie looks like the Sony HDR-TG7VE which provides some high-definition qualities and managable image sizes. A good choice for carrying in the purse and pocket of one's jacket/shirt.
That's right; camcorders in this class are easy to use, particularly easy to carry, and still offer good image quality. They are perfect for video snapshooting but they are not so good if you plan to do some serious (or semi-serious ;) ) work. They are auto-everything, no manual settings, they don't accept any accessories like converters, external microphones, or headphones (sound is important!), and they don't have an optical viewfinder (which is useful in bright sunshine). The Bloggie is even less featured than the HDR-TG7VE.

By the way, one of the latest models is the HDR-XR550VE. It basically is the same as the HDR-XR520VE but it has a shorter lens (10× zoom rather than 12×, and has more wide-angle so a wide-angle converter is not mandatory anymore; the downside is reduced telephoto reach), has two card slots rather than one (for Memory Stick and SDHC), and has an improved image stabiliser. I guess if I'd buy a camcorder right now, I'd prefer the HDR-XR550VE over the HDR-XR520VE.

-- Olaf
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Yes, the HDR-TG7VE would be a little limiting for the kind of shooting I have in mind. I love devices that come with less weight and size because that leaves room for other devices or goodies. Image quality is the ultimate requirement for me. I wish to see the product of my efforts to look good at the end of the day. We don't always get a second chance of visiting some very nice places, be them architectural spaces, interiors or event shots.

I also considered the HDR-XR550VE and was reluctant due to the shorter zoom. It's still worth considering just as seriously though. But they don't have it in stock rght now and say that it will be on an indefinite future date. They have the HDR-XR520VE in stock right now... :)

I better call them for more information...

Thanks very much,
Yildiz
01af wrote:
aster wrote:The Bloggie looks like the Sony HDR-TG7VE which provides some high-definition qualities and managable image sizes. A good choice for carrying in the purse and pocket of one's jacket/shirt.
That's right; camcorders in this class are easy to use, particularly easy to carry, and still offer good image quality. They are perfect for video snapshooting but they are not so good if you plan to do some serious (or semi-serious ;) ) work. They are auto-everything, no manual settings, they don't accept any accessories like converters, external microphones, or headphones (sound is important!), and they don't have an optical viewfinder (which is useful in bright sunshine). The Bloggie is even less featured than the HDR-TG7VE.

By the way, one of the latest models is the HDR-XR550VE. It basically is the same as the HDR-XR520VE but it has a shorter lens (10× zoom rather than 12×, and has more wide-angle so a wide-angle converter is not mandatory anymore; the downside is reduced telephoto reach), has two card slots rather than one (for Memory Stick and SDHC), and has an improved image stabiliser. I guess if I'd buy a camcorder right now, I'd prefer the HDR-XR550VE over the HDR-XR520VE.

-- Olaf
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

01af wrote:

-- Olaf
For those prices, I'll probably go for an Olympus EP1/EP2 or a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1... Oh Sony, what are you waiting for?

;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

They look very neat! :)
pakodominguez wrote:
For those prices, I'll probably go for an Olympus EP1/EP2 or a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1... Oh Sony, what are you waiting for?

;-)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi again!

For the record, the newest High Definition camcorders come with G lenses while some previous models have Carl Zeiss lenses...

So, which lens type do we like on such camcorders so far? Any preference of one over the other ?

I always had a soft heart towards the Carl Zeiss but Sony tend to build the newest devices with G instead...

Just wondering. I know how good the G lenses have been for the DSLR models for still imagery.

Thanks,

Yildiz
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

aster wrote:For the record, the newest High Definition camcorders come with G lenses while some previous models have Carl Zeiss lenses. So, which lens type do we like on such camcorders so far? Any preference of one over the other? I always had a soft heart towards the Carl Zeiss but Sony tend to build the newest devices with G instead ...
I don't know how good the Zeiss lenses in some of Sony's camcorders are ... but I do know the Sony 5.5-66 mm 1:1.8-3.4 G lens in the HDR-XR520VE is very good. It shows a small amount of lateral chromatic aberration near the long end which however is hardly visible in videos, it will become noticable only upon close inspection of still images. Apart from that, it's close to perfect. Really a very good lens.

And the use of the Sony wide-angle converter degrades the image quality only slightly ... the most obvious (still not too objectionable) degradation is some barrel-shaped distortion at the short end.

I guess even a consumer-grade Zeiss video zoom lens will hardly be any better than that. I wouldn't base my decision for a Sony video camcorder upon the label on the lens. Zeiss lenses sure are very good but so are Sony G lenses ... I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was still buying them from Minolta.

-- Olaf
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you Olaf,

As always, you've both relieved my mind and provided material for thought. :)
I suppose I should start trusting the Sony G lenses and stop worrying... I have the Cybershot Sony DSC-V3 which has a Carl-Zeiss lens and though the image size is small, it takes nice videos with good colours and details especially in good light.

Maybe HDR-550VE would be a better option as you said earlier, which probably will not necessitate the use of the wide-angle converter, hence no downgraded image quality even if minimal.

Thanks,
Yildiz

01af wrote:
aster wrote:For the record, the newest High Definition camcorders come with G lenses while some previous models have Carl Zeiss lenses. So, which lens type do we like on such camcorders so far? Any preference of one over the other? I always had a soft heart towards the Carl Zeiss but Sony tend to build the newest devices with G instead ...
I don't know how good the Zeiss lenses in some of Sony's camcorders are ... but I do know the Sony 5.5-66 mm 1:1.8-3.4 G lens in the HDR-XR520VE is very good. It shows a small amount of lateral chromatic aberration near the long end which however is hardly visible in videos, it will become noticable only upon close inspection of still images. Apart from that, it's close to perfect. Really a very good lens.

And the use of the Sony wide-angle converter degrades the image quality only slightly ... the most obvious (still not too objectionable) degradation is some barrel-shaped distortion at the short end.

I guess even a consumer-grade Zeiss video zoom lens will hardly be any better than that. I wouldn't base my decision for a Sony video camcorder upon the label on the lens. Zeiss lenses sure are very good but so are Sony G lenses ... I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was still buying them from Minolta.

-- Olaf
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

I am playing with the idea of buying a camera for motion -while I'm waiting for Sony to bring a video DSRL. And I'm hesitating between a handycam (like the Bloggie) or one of the new cybershot with HD capabilities, specially the HX5V
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 9#overview

Other than record video at 1080i, this camera have all the new technology, including the Exmor R sensor, HDR, GPS and Sweep Panorama. Witch one will give me better video results? I'm tempted o say the HX5V...
Pako
------------
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Pako,

I haven't seen nor tried this nice and small camera, therefore have no idea about how good the video feature is. I think that it may be satisfying enough in good light conditions and the Exmor sensor being the latest technology will most probably give better results than my DSC-V3 does anyway.

Sony doesn't do anything that bad to disappoint in that camera range. I believe it should deliver nice imagery...until they are prepared to offer a VSLR that you feel is appropriate for your requirements.

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Olaf, :)

Just dropped by to tell you that your recommendations led me to purchase the HDR XR-550E today, since they didn't have the XR-550VE in stock.
I think that this model will do nicely until something very different from the Sony will excite my purchasing motives in the shape of a new DSLR.

Thanks for the good advice! :D

Kindly,

Yildiz