Canon Withdrawn from "In Focus"

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
Scooterman
Oligarch

Canon Withdrawn from "In Focus"

Unread post by Scooterman »

I see that Canon have withdrawn from exhibiting at the NEC “In Focus”, Could it be because of the advertising?
Remember the Chimp with the Canon DSLR that David put on the forum? :mrgreen:
Still Nikon/Sony and Pentax + others.
Richard
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Canon Withdrawn from "In Focus"

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

BJP plans to spread a rumour via their blog that the ad was the cause! I doubt it.

David
sean_photography
Acolyte

Unread post by sean_photography »

i went to in focus on sunday and thought it was a great day, the sony stand was exceptional.
it was a good chance to play with all the lenses you wouldn't find in many sony stores.

it was also good to see the mock up of the replacement a700 and the f42am flash, which they're swapping for a smaller f58am style to fit and help balance out the a55/a33.

no show to canon was disappointing too , shame on them.
Sony Alpha A300 / 18-70mm / 75-300 / 50mm F1.4 / Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Apparently the chimpanzee advert WAS the trigger which made them pull out. They had just had a European management reshuffle, the new managers were not happy with the £300,000 cost of attending Focus (to reach 30,000 visitors - £10 per person), and when this arrived they pulled the plug including their advertising in the catalogue etc.

Nikon benefited greatly, and Sony did well, so did Pentax. Olympus were not exhibiting, nor were Panasonic, nor Leica, nor Hasselblad.

I spent two days there, now very tired feet...

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I spent two days there, now very tired feet...
Any interesting news and tidbits?
Scooterman
Oligarch

Unread post by Scooterman »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Apparently the chimpanzee advert WAS the trigger which made them pull out. They had just had a European management reshuffle, the new managers were not happy with the £300,000 cost of attending Focus (to reach 30,000 visitors - £10 per person), and when this arrived they pulled the plug including their advertising in the catalogue etc.

Nikon benefited greatly, and Sony did well, so did Pentax. Olympus were not exhibiting, nor were Panasonic, nor Leica, nor Hasselblad.

I spent two days there, now very tired feet...

David
David you must have missed the Panasonic stand, they were there, you may have meant Samsung?
I have just got back myself, much better this year less crowded, perhaps without the Canon stand not so many of that lot about, I did enjoy the Sony stand also trying lenses and cameras also the broadcast video gear.
The 500mm f4 was the mock-up with no glass, the A-77? both the black and the clear one, I am pleased the body will be about the same size as to old A-700 far better for my type of hands.
There were some good deals to be had on Sony gear on the trade stands, far more of Sony kit being sold there, a couple of years ago no one stocked it at the show.
Gregg they had the A-580’s at a special show price of £589 with the kit lens. :wink: