Photographers Direct stock photo site

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Photographers Direct stock photo site

Unread post by bakubo »

Has anyone used the Photographers Direct stock photo site?

http://www.photographersdirect.com/

Any opinions?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Photographers Direct stock photo site

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes, never sold a single image through them. The requests are stupidly specific, the quality standards are strange (they will reject saleable images by giving them a low rating, and give high ratings to 'pretty pictures' which may not as relevant for stock sales. Compared to Alamy, a total waste of time so far.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thank you for the info. I am looking a bit at various sites including Alamy. After looking at Alamy though I don't think I have anything that would be appropriate for them so I was looking at alternatives.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I can't imagine how anyone would not have material appropriate for Alamy. The whole point about Alamy is that it successfully sells images which most commercial stock libraries won't handle any more - it works the same way a library like ACE used to 20 years ago, selling editorial, travel and illustrative '35mm' photojournalism. Many of the other portals/sites are only suited to 'microstock producers' who instead set up pictures which look like stock pictures (posed, model released, typical situations like business meetings, handshakes, people using technology, food, leisure activities, etc).

Alamy is one of the few sites where you can sell pictures which include people (crowds, streets, beaches) without needing a model release for everyone in the shot! I've seen a fair number of your pix and would have thought Alamy was a good outlet for them. 50 per cent of my sales are travel related.

David
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hello bakobo,

I meant to write sooner but couldn't decide which thread to post this. I truly admired your latest collection from your trip to West Papua New Guinea. A beautiful set of documentation.

Congratulations on the hardship on overcoming the torment the actual trip brought upon you but the result is worth it all. I hope you find the right place to market/display them too.

Thanks for sharing and the inspiration they induce. :)

Yildiz