Pentax K-r huge AF problems..

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Pentax K-r huge AF problems..

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

As said in some forum posts I've updated to a Pentax K-r from the K-x
Initially everything seemed great that was until I started to shoot in lower kelvin light.
Out of the 2 shoots I did recently almost none of the shots was in focus using phase detect AF using a variety of lenses.
I had a choice either get no shots in focus or use MF and live view. The problem is huge front focus (we're talking big not a few mm)

I resorted to MF and LV that but obviously I was not happy at all. I contacted Pentax UK about this thinking I had a defective body (clearly)
To my amazement Pentax admitted there was a problem with this model..and get this..they have no solution either!

I can't exchange the body because Pentax say it's a flaw in all bodies, I can't send it to service for a repair because service says they can't repair it!
I wrote quite a detailed letter to Pentax explaining the problem, and conveying my feelings of frustration and disappointment (I was polite but pretty firm) I'm waiting on a response from the company.

The initial service contact was helpful but ultimately cannot do anything until the HQ presses a button. My last call (I made) they said firmware was being worked on (model has been out over a year) but they don't know when it will come out. Whist I'd like to wait on that..really I'm completely flabbergasted by the entire sequence of events. My memory goes back to the first black frame problem with the Km5d

But they offered a fix..ok not great to be without a body for a few weeks, but a free fix and evidently production was changed on the model to replace the defective part. Pentax apparently have been hammering K-r's off the production line for well over a year knowing there was a problem (and it's a pretty major one IMO)

I'm rarely lost for words, but in this case I cannot even imagine how damaging something like this is to a companies reputation. I might have been a bit tough on Sony for quirks and niggles..but this is IMO unheard of for a photographic company.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Pentax K-r huge AF problems..

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I'm assuming the K-x was ok, or didn't have the problem? if so how did they screw up the K-r I wonder, any chance you can swap back Barry?
Greg
Ps how low a light level are we talking about?
bfitzgerald

Greg K-x was fine for AF in all lighting conditions. I sold it so unless I buy another one that one that's not an option
How low light well not that low light it's just a problem that can even show up at fairly bright conditions.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I guess the K-r has release priority and focus priority and the camera is set for focus priority and there isn’t an obvious work around, not very handy Barry if you are working a shoot that’s for sure.
Greg
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Sad and odd to hear that.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I just had a quick look at a K-r write up/review and a big problem for me would be/is that the viewfinder doesn't give focus point confirmation, so I for one would be all at sea with that, I'd never be able to be sure just what the camera focussed on.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The early Sony AF modules had a similar issue - the A700 module front focuses in tungsten light with faster lenses like the 50mm f/1.4. Colour temperature and light level combined can have this effect on phase detect sensors unless they are apochromatic in response.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yes artificial light could be a problem with it's frequency as well, here AC current is 50 cycles a second and in the US I think it's 60 cycles a second.
Greg
bfitzgerald

Greg K-r does have AF point confirmation in the VF that was one of the improvements over the K-x.
The camera does have AF adjustment in the menu but it's so far off (depending on focal length) that cannot correct it.
Same problem on all lenses I have neither show any issues in other lighting conditions.

I had some issues with the A200 and AF accuracy though it was nowhere near this level. I was not aware that this was a problem with the A700 but I only ever had a quick grab of that body so I would not have noticed that. I've not seen any issues on the film bodies I have..nor any on the Km5d not in this regard.

What bothers me most is why Pentax didn't identify the problem (they know about it and have done for some time) and change production to fix the issue. That is puzzling
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

How about a K-5 Barry, it's more a working mans camera than those intro models.
Greg
bfitzgerald

The Pentax support guy suggested that..problem is I'm really waiting to see how they deal with this. I can't say it inspires me to purchase further products.

Here are the 2 situations where you'd not have any chance of getting in focus shots (exif retained) using phase detect AF.
MF or live view only real option here

IMGP2062.jpg
(133.77 KiB) Downloaded 1740 times
IMGP2677.jpg
(169.88 KiB) Downloaded 1740 times
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

At first glance I'd think I would get focus on the first guys face, and maybe the second guys shirt, (but not the first guys shirt) but then I don't know how low the light level really is, it could be EV2 for all I know, (too see the exif I'd have to save the photos), the exposures and dof seem quite good though considering.
Greg
bfitzgerald

Didn't work Greg believe me I tried everything. It just says AF confirm even when it's out of focus.
Unless you have a big contrast area it's going to miss AF sadly.

The second shot is actually front focus, but I used focus magic to pull it back (it's for web not print use)
At the concert I just gave up with phase detect AF because not a single shot was in focus! (really that's how bad it is!)
bfitzgerald

Just an update I've waited 2 weeks having fired off an email letter to Pentax UK, no response on that from the company so I've decided to contact the retailer for a full refund on this purchase.

Despite my initial enthusiasm with Pentax it's now apparent that they're not really the company for me (selling an iffy product for 14 months isn't exactly consumer confidence)

My question to folks now is..

Nikon or Canon? 8)
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

bfitzgerald wrote:Nikon or Canon? 8)
Guess that's a question for yourself really :wink:
I like the Nikon layout and operation so I think I would go that path if I parted with Minolta/Sony.

My father in law has a D70 and a D200, especially the second one is a nice camera.

Every maker seems to have their shortcomings (or it depends which way you see it...), some Nikons seem to expose more to the right than my gear - in some cases leaving blown out areas which I don't like. But as long as you know how the camera works you can compensate for it...

/Z!
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2