The Nightmare is over!

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: The Nightmare is over!

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I have a lot to think about here. Yes a FF body is an option and I have the lenses to support that.
Regarding the A57 again not a bad price, decent 16mp sensor..I suppose it comes down to if I can get my head around the EVF aspect. At the moment I'm so sick of AF problems I'd use anything! I have no idea of the AF performance of that model..but I doubt it could be as bad as what I have.

Nikon have got back to me but are asking I post the D7000 off to them. Having paid for postage to their service dept before I pretty much said "this isn't going to cut it" I'm not being left out of pocket again for another go at fixing it. At this stage I'm convinced Nikon have major QC problems, and being in contact with some other Nikon users one of whom went through 4 D7000's before finally giving up due to the dreaded back focus problems. How cameras can leave a factory in this condition is a mystery, but as an end user it's bend over backwards time..or else I'm out of F mount for good.

I take a pretty dim view of any company that doesn't respond to customers properly, Pentax still ranks no.1 for awful customer support (ie admit issues but don't fix them!) so I will never ever look at that maker. Unless Nikon pulls something big out of the bag on this one, I'll be glad to see the back of them. I'm not sure I have the energy to try Canon. My investment in Minolta means it's simply a lot easier to just stick with A mount. Maybe I should have done this all along (ie better the devil I know)

It's a huge let down because both Pentax and Nikon do in many ways have some damn fine cameras. But both are plagued with (IMO) QC issues that simply cannot be overlooked
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

I don't know if it is stlll the case, but Nikon used to have two levels of service, depending on which model(s) were registered. I would guess you would need at least a D300 for their professional support.
bfitzgerald

That is correct I'm not registered on their pro scheme (I neither have the bodies or lenses to justify that)
On the other hand considering the number of problems I've had to date..I would expect some kind of effort from Nikon on this. I don't expect or ask for a D800 or a bag full of lenses, but they could try a bit harder here.

If this drags on I'll just sell the lenses and get the body fixed and sell that off. I can replace my Tamron set-up for A mount and pick up another body..sell the Metz for F mount and add another one to A mount. It's not hard for me to slot back into A mount I kept most of my stuff..I'd happily stay with Nikon but not if this is what you get with buying brand new bodies.
bfitzgerald

Quick update Nikon don't seem to take things that seriously ie bog standard send it in we'll take a look at it. I've spend most of this year wasting time buying multiple bodies and plagued with QC ie AF issues..to quite a shocking degree (we're talking massive back focus)
I've pretty much told Nikon to shove it where the sun does not shine via on-line messaging! So I am now selling off all my F mount gear..I will send the body in because I can't dump it on someone knowing it's iffy. Once I get that back I will sell it to raise funds.

I've decided that changing mounts again is not in my interests and frankly I'm sick of starting off again. I've no problems with Canon, I can lay my hands on loaner stuff if needed, I just don't want to go through the entire buying stuff cycle again when I have a bunch of A mount lenses I can use (and some pretty decent ones) Sony angst or not..I think I'll just have to accept things, because the alternative is being plagued with Nikon's lousy QC...no way I'd buy a FF body with the problems I have had.

So Nikon some nice lenses, some lovely on paper bodies..but AF is important and they fall down badly here IMO. Their lower end stuff is too hamstrung to be even worth looking at (esp flash wise)
I'll take stock of where to go now with Sony maybe I'll try an SLT to see if I can make it work for me..I could also pick up a s/h body too with an OVF.