Congratulations On Andy Murray's Wimbledon Win!

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
aster
Tower of Babel

Congratulations On Andy Murray's Wimbledon Win!

Unread post by aster »

Dear British and especially Scottish members; :D

77 years in the making, Andy Murray finally is the one to bring home the Trophy! :D

Congratulations to you all, a very proud triumph to celebrate with genuine joy... I was locked to the screen as I watched the match which was a real treat for the spectators. It was for Djokovic's stamina and will to win that made this match a delight to watch; both parties worked willingly for their own success...and that's why this win of Murray's will be all the more appreciated and remembered by many generations to come. Inspirational... for us all. : ) Hard work and perseverence pays off.

Many happy celebrations!

Yildiz
david antony
Viceroy

Re: Congratulations On Andy Murray's Wimbledon Win!

Unread post by david antony »

I agree whole heartedly Yildiz. The most excitng tennis match I have ever seen. I was pulling for Andy, that was some finish. Well done Andy & Scotland for bringing the Cup back to the UK. Djokovic was a very good sportsman after his defeat. Pleasure to see the great Rod Laver at Wimbledon enjoying it.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Yes! A big well done to Andy Murray :D

This of course will cause a problem for next year's Wimbledon; what can we obsess about now we've had a Men's winner since Fred Perry :lol:

I agree that Djokovic was very generous and sportsman like in defeat. I was also pleased that the crowd, while obviously being behind Andy, did not resort to un-sportsman lie behaviour against Djokovic.

All in all a great game of tennis!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Birma wrote:Yes! A big well done to Andy Murray :D

This of course will cause a problem for next year's Wimbledon; what can we obsess about now we've had a Men's winner since Fred Perry :lol:

All in all a great game of tennis!

Let that be the least of your/our worries, Andy. :D I'm sure something will come up or invent itself to 'obsess' about; it's a changing world by every second of the day and there are many seconds for the British to fill the void to suit their wishes. :D :D

(I liked the interview of Djokovic's very much. The words were nicely selected to suit the moment and to describe the feelings of a tennis player, Andy Murray in this case, that undergoes an unprecedentent pressure from peers and fellow-countrymen and maybe even from family...It was nice. I felt the human that Djokovic is in there. Very mature indeed.)

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yep it’s great to see finally after all these years, well done. Sport in general is going so well for the ‘old country’ lately, I almost feel ok about them beating us now in the rugby test series just completed, I suppose I’d better get prepared for losing the upcoming cricket test series too…might as well make it a clean sweep. :mrgreen:
Is there a faint glimmer on the horizon for poor ol OZ against the British, cycling…nope, tennis…no, soccer…no, polo…no, horse racing…not really, swimming…no, croquet maybe…?
I know netball, yay! There’s one thing we are still good at…but probably only because the UK hasn’t ‘discovered’ it yet. I’m not going to mention hockey in case they notice it too…shush mum’s the word, we can beat NZ sometimes in that so we’ll keep that one to ourselves. :lol:
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I don't follow tennis, but congrats to Andy Murray.

Virginia Wade: a Wimbledon champion written out of British history
The Andy Murray headlines have ignored the fact that a Briton won a Wimbledon singles title in 1977. Ah, but she was a woman.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/shortcu ... ion-tennis
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg, we'll have Australia at heart whichever games begin, I promise! :)

Supporting the OZ all the way.

The next obsessions of the British can perhaps be "who the next British winner of Wimbledon be and when, or maybe in consecutive years". You know it's pretty customary to expect more and more once one gets a taste for it. Success is like an addiction; "once is never enough. and once in your veins it's hard to get it out of your system"

Henry, I knew that the 77-year expectations were targeted towards the men's wins at Wimbledon when I wrote my message and was surprised to find later that the media and the conventional press actually ignored the women's single wins altogether. Some discrimination, I would say...which I would not expect from the media of a highly esteemed country and nation that pride themselves in making history in many fronts, including sports.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

aster wrote:Greg, we'll have Australia at heart whichever games begin, I promise! :)

Supporting the OZ all the way.

The next obsessions of the British can perhaps be "who the next British winner of Wimbledon be and when, or maybe in consecutive years". You know it's pretty customary to expect more and more once one gets a taste for it. Success is like an addiction; "once is never enough. and once in your veins it's hard to get it out of your system"

Henry, I knew that the 77-year expectations were targeted towards the men's wins at Wimbledon when I wrote my message and was surprised to find later that the media and the conventional press actually ignored the women's single wins altogether. Some discrimination, I would say...which I would not expect from the media of a highly esteemed country and nation that pride themselves in making history in many fronts, including sports.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Yildiz
Crikey Yildiz, for that I’ll give you Australia’s most prestigious award, True Blue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cohkaLM3AjQ
(they don’t come much higher). :D
Greg

Ps Speaking about the tennis coverage and the focus only on the men’s achievements, I think bits get left out on different networks and things get taken out of context…maybe.
No female Wimbledon champions were ignored here on our TV, why? because there weren’t any in the men’s singles, back then or recently, well not participating in the actual game that is.
Here it was quite evident they were discussing the time it has taken the UK to produce another MALE tennis champion. :mrgreen:
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I lost interest in Tennis some time ago, though I admire his achievement. Sadly a lot of the press coverage has erupted into a Scottish v British argument which is really sad to see.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you, Greg. : )

'True blue' is a legend I found, in Australia. :) I'm honoured. Now it's time I put my faith in all things Australian....

Yildiz