WHAT IS DIFFERENCE IN IMAGE QUALITY BETWEEN A350 & A700?

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
ARCHIEMCKINNON

WHAT IS DIFFERENCE IN IMAGE QUALITY BETWEEN A350 & A700?

Unread post by ARCHIEMCKINNON »

I am thinking of upgrading to the A700. I previously had the A200 and had superb results. Recently moved up to the A350, thinking I could get even better results however I am not convinced. Would there be a marked difference in image quality between the A350 and the A700.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: WHAT IS DIFFERENCE IN IMAGE QUALITY BETWEEN A350 & A700?

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

If not for the performance of the camera, I'm quite sure A350 goes on par with A700 image quality wise. Though pixel count differ (14 vs 12).
David has both of them and he'll get with a much better answer than mine.
Meanwhile get the most from the forum and welcome. :)
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Very different cameras. The A350 has a special quality of colour and contrast/D-range especially at ISO 100. Move it off ISO 100, and this special quality is diluted rapidly by increasing grain/noise. The A700 creates a slightly different looking image, a bit warmer in the yellow direction by default, and with more contrast and less highlight headroom. It is much better at ISO 400 and above.

I still find the A350 hard to beat for static, tripod, good light, excellent optics (and it needs excellent lenses). But I would hestitate to try to use it as my only camera. The A700, on the other hand, can be used for any task - amateur or pro.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Oooops, :oops: , that means I was not even close.
On the other hand, I told you that David can come up with an exact answer. :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
ARCHIEMCKINNON

Unread post by ARCHIEMCKINNON »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Very different cameras. The A350 has a special quality of colour and contrast/D-range especially at ISO 100. Move it off ISO 100, and this special quality is diluted rapidly by increasing grain/noise. The A700 creates a slightly different looking image, a bit warmer in the yellow direction by default, and with more contrast and less highlight headroom. It is much better at ISO 400 and above.

I still find the A350 hard to beat for static, tripod, good light, excellent optics (and it needs excellent lenses). But I would hestitate to try to use it as my only camera. The A700, on the other hand, can be used for any task - amateur or pro.

David
Hi David, Thanks for the advice. Sorry took a while to get back, but fairly new to this game!
I have noted your comments and totally agree with them.
I think I will go ahead for A700, when finances allow.
Regards, Archie
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I wouldn;t wait too long the supply of new A700's is dwindling in some places. There still seems to be lots of them in Canada though.