Dust spots?

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
Ewannawe
Oligarch

Dust spots?

Unread post by Ewannawe »

I've long suspected I had a little dust on the sensor; majority of images don't show anything but post processing will often reveal them, especially when playing with contrast and/or clarify. I was working through todays shots when I was horrified to see a huge increase in these dust spots in one particular image..

And then completely perplexed to study the next image, taken seconds later..

Can anyone explain this, and perhaps give advice (link?) on how to clean the sensor without destroying your camera. ;)
Reality is merely illusion, albeit a persistent one. ~ Albert Einstein
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. ~ Benjamin Disraeli
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Dust spots?

Unread post by Javelin »

The first shot was at F16. the second was at F6.3, the smaller aperture makes it easier for the sensor to focus the dust. the larger aperture basically blurs it away so it's hidden. the best way to check for dust is to shoot blank grey sky (with no birds in the disance! ) at your lenses smallest aperture. Run a cleaning cycle from the menu and if it's not clean use a rocket blower on it. the book instructions are pretty good.
Ewannawe
Oligarch

Unread post by Ewannawe »

I owe you a beer whenever you're in town. Such a quick response, clear and concise too. (I'm not reading the manual though!)
Reality is merely illusion, albeit a persistent one. ~ Albert Einstein
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. ~ Benjamin Disraeli
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

hahaha ok well Just make sure you have a fully charged battery before you stick the blower into the camera :) if it's a brand new blower you might want to make sure it's clean of any dust before you use it. sometimes there could be something inside the blower from when it's being made (so i've read) I keep mine in a plastic ziplock after it's used so it doesn't pick anything up. Mine though was a smaller sized one with a black rubber bulb and the rubber was still curing when I got it and I had to leave it in air for about a week before I could close it in a bag.