Non DT lenses and flash

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
Lobo
Initiate

Non DT lenses and flash

Unread post by Lobo »

Being new to digital I ask this: The manual for the Alpha 700 says that the flash guns work perfectly with DT lenses as they are able to measure the exact distance to a subject - is the flash as equally acurate with non DT lenses, such as those from my Minolta 700 Si system? :|
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Non DT lenses and flash

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If they are 'D' lenses (all DT lenses are 'D') yes. For pre-D type lenses - any full frame without 'D' after its name - use Pre-Flash TTL rather than ADI for the metering. This preference can be set in the menus.

David
Lobo
Initiate

Re: Non DT lenses and flash

Unread post by Lobo »

Thank you for that David. Phew, what a relief! Going from the Minolta 700 Si to the Alpha 700 I've already had to replace my flash gun and my ringflash - both, unfortunately, incompatable with my new camera. I did purchase an 18 ~ 250mm DT zoom following your review in the club magazine, so have one Alpha lens. The rest of my lenses are from my 700 Si, plus a Sigma 50mm macro and a 500mm Centon (the last apparently working better on the Alpha than it ever did on the Si !).

PS. Thanks also for all your hard work on the magazine.