A55 or NEX-VG10

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

A55 or NEX-VG10

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I need advice from all those who have experience with video.
I will purchase either A55 or the NEX-VG10 for my son. Reason: making movies.
OK he's just 15 but proved that he can. His last home made movie was long enough, lasting more than an hour (script, plot, cinematography, directing, editing etc all by his own). So have to upgrade. We discussed a lot. After reading all specifications he's more prone for the ... yes, A55 :roll: :?:
VG10 can record with no limits (except for batteries and card capacity), A55 can for up to 29 min without SSS on (or 9min with SSS).
He mentioned: who does a scene for more than a couple of minutes :? :shock:
So I need some advice. Is A55 enough or should I look toward NEX-VG10 ?
You might as well ask questions to be more specific.
Please help.

P.S. as a future movie director, I want him to learn photography a lot, but let this not be a reason for the choice to be made.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: A55 or NEX-VG10

Unread post by Dusty »

Doc,

Recent comments that the 33 and 55 need to be severely limited for video recording would make me say no, if video is your prime use. Even if 'filming' is limited to a few minutes, does he want to turn it off and let it cool down between shots?

I'd also question the idea of using anything besides a video cam if he wants to shoot videos. Since the VG10 has an APS-C sized sensor, and takes NEX lenses, what precludes him from using an adapter and Alpha lenses? The VG also comes with video editing software and is designed to shoot video. That should make it easier to handle and set up for his shots.

Dusty
Dr. Harout

Thanks for the comment Dusty. I'll show him tomorrow your opinion.

Flickr
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Hi Doc,

I think people are over reacting about the "camera gets hot" issue. The camera gets hot, OK. But I haven't stop working because that. You just have to pull out the screen and things improve. I never stopped shooting because the camera got hot -I have a small issue because I was using a Kingston SD card, Using Sony MS everything goes fine.

Apparently, the NEX system (including NEX3 and 5) will have more control over video than the A55. With the 2000 US$ you need in order to buy the NEX-VG10, I thin you better go for the NEX5 (probably twin lens it) the Sony adapter for a-mount lenses and a couple adapters for your M42 and other manual focus lenses you have. Buy some software (I have to install a trial version of Sony Vegas and see if it is what I need) and a couple of good books and with the rest of the money, go to a nice restaurant and celebrate for this young filmmaker!

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

I forgot, you'll probably have to skip the dinner: you'll need a good tripod (even for the NEX5) and a dolly, and/or any sort of stabilization system
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Harout

pakodominguez wrote:I forgot, you'll probably have to skip the dinner: you'll need a good tripod (even for the NEX5) and a dolly, and/or any sort of stabilization system
I'm thinking about a DIY steadicam.
As for the NEX-5, I don't know, I'll show him that too.

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Pako,

Even as cheap as I am, if my main goal was video shooting I'd get a video cam. There's not use in buying a tool that's not really made for the job at hand just because it will also do that job. I've hammered nails with big wrenches, but wouldn't suggest someone buy one to build a house because it's cheaper than a hammer.

If Doc's son wants to be a video photographer, he needs to learn to work with the tools of the trade. After all, if he gets to Hollywood (or Armenia's equivalent) and has no experience with the right type of equipment, he'll be behind other with the right experience.

Dusty
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Dusty wrote:Pako,

Even as cheap as I am, if my main goal was video shooting I'd get a video cam. There's not use in buying a tool that's not really made for the job at hand just because it will also do that job.
Lets see how NEX5 perform after the already announced Firmware V3, I think (I hope) we'll be surprised...
Pako
------------