Minolta 35-200mm Xi lens....

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Simon
Acolyte

Minolta 35-200mm Xi lens....

Unread post by Simon »

Just bought a secondhand Minolta 35-200mm Xi lens today for my new A900. Very surprised, and pleased, with the sharpness. Looks at least a match for my Sony SAL 24-105. Also, the power zoom feature I find quite handy. Maybe Sony should consider re introducing this lens......
Simon
Acolyte

Re: Minolta 35-200mm Xi lens....

Unread post by Simon »

Thanks for your reply. I did a few test shots this afternoon, with both lenses, and the Minolta looks a tad sharper. Problem is do I now keep both lenses ?. Maybe I should sell the SAL 24-105, then put the funds towards a new Sony 50 1.4.

I can recall Amateur Photographer testing the 35-200 Xi many years ago when it received an "optical excellence" from the magazines testers.

Maybe Sony should re introduce the lens, without the power zoom, although I must admit I am finding this function quite handy. The only glitch is that the lens draws extra power from the camera battery.......
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Simon,

you like the power-zoom feature ... no kidding!? :shock:

Well, each to his own. Most people detest the power zoom. But in terms of image quality, the AF-xi 35-200 mm indeed is an excellent (and frequently underrated) lens. The same cannot be said about most AF-xi lenses. Still ... no, I sincerely hope Sony will never re-introduce these outré power-zoom lenses.

-- Olaf
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I found the 35-200xi much better than the 24-105mm D, on the A900. But I could not live with the power zoom, so it was sold when I got a 28-105mm. But, the 200mm reach was useful. Agreed, if they could ever update a lens, this would be the one. But with only 35mm at the short end, they would say it was not going to sell.

David
Simon
Acolyte

Unread post by Simon »

The power zoom feature surprised me somewhat. I was expecting to hate it, but so far I quite like it. I must admit that it is something of a technological ( is that the right word ? ) dead end and Minolta admitted this at the time ( the 1990s) if my memory is correct. The 35-200 Xi does sit nicely on the A900,looks almost like an up market kit lens ! . Maybe if Sony launch further full frame cameras (A800 ?) then the 35-200 could become the ultimate "starter" lens.
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

Must agree with Simon. I also have the 35-200mm xi and can get on fine with the power zoom :)
Roger
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Each to his own.
I hated the power zoom but loved the range on 35mm.
As I got next to nothing in trade in, I should have kept it!

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Simon
Acolyte

Unread post by Simon »

There is one small drawback I have found with this lens is that there is some CA towards the edge of the frame but luckily this can be fixed by software. The power zoom does draw a fair amount of juice from the A900 battery and I would recommend using two batteries in the grip. Other than that what a great lens, super sharp, and a great range from moderate wide angle to telephoto. Has anyone done any comparison tests ? Simon.