Just for fun: 20,000 pixel pano with the 28-135mm...

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
lattiboy
Initiate

Just for fun: 20,000 pixel pano with the 28-135mm...

Unread post by lattiboy »

Went up to the top of the Space Needle today and took some quick shots for a pano. I was sloppy and it was crazy busy up top. 10 pictures taken with the 28-135mm and the A900 at 28mm. The stitching software can only do so much, but it's worth checking out for the unreal detail this combo delivers.

There are some obvious horizon breaks and I forgot Picasa puts my sig on exports automatically. Sorry!

I'll be going back and using my 85mm f/1.4 to do a 30-45 shot vertical stitch next month.

Here's the preview:

And here's the link to the 14MB JPEG. Downloading and using Picasa viewer to zoom through it is endless fun:

Link to the full size image
Winston
Grand Caliph

Re: Just for fun: 20,000 pixel pano with the 28-135mm...

Unread post by Winston »

I had better luck with this link. When it opens in your browser, click on it for full size.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Woow -Impressive!!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Nice to see so many fine details of the cityscape. A900 is definitely great for landscape photography!

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
lattiboy
Initiate

Unread post by lattiboy »

Thanks all. This is obviously more of a technical showcase than any kind of well done pano :D

I really did a quick and dirty job on both the picture taking and the stitching. I'm really going to put some time and effort into my next attempt. I did the math, and it will actually be about EIGHTY shots if I use the 85mm vertically. :shock:

I honestly don't know if my computer (which is custom built and quite powerful) can handle that kind of data. Whatever pano program I use will have to choke down 11.36 GIGABYTES of tiff files. Again, :shock:
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Too bad I can't see images from flikr at work. :(

11.36 gigbytes sounds fun! How much RAM have you got? Reminds me of when I used to leave my computer rendering a TurboCAD model and come back to it the next day to check its progress. :lol:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

In this article the writer talks about the computer he used.

The Making of a Seven Gigabyte Eight Foot Wide Print

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/techn ... rama.shtml
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

lattiboy wrote:Went up to the top of the Space Needle today and took some quick shots for a pano. I was sloppy and it was crazy busy up top. 10 pictures taken with the 28-135mm and the A900 at 28mm. The stitching software can only do so much, but it's worth checking out for the unreal detail this combo delivers.

There are some obvious horizon breaks and I forgot Picasa puts my sig on exports automatically. Sorry!

I'll be going back and using my 85mm f/1.4 to do a 30-45 shot vertical stitch next month.
]

Good job !

Combine with the A900 24MP sensor + a good quality lens, you can achieve impressive Stitching. On the first weekend with my A900 : http://www.pbase.com/nadeauf/image/104581559/original (28mm F2.0 @ F10 - 16517X3851, 14MB jpeg compressed).

I have done a lot of stitching before with the A700, but Because of the size of the file of the A900 and the power of my computer, I have not tried to much Stitching.

What computer and software are you using ?

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Alain
Initiate

Unread post by Alain »

Hi

You could try the stitching with autostich or hugin, I expect less distortion.

Alain
NevHi
Heirophant

Unread post by NevHi »

I have been using Microsoft ICE [Image Composite Editor]
http://research.microsoft.com/ivm/ice.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5D, 8000i, XD7
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I just discovered hugin yesterday.. it works very well
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

hugin, Gimp, Raw therapy and Ubuntu 8.10 (or the sooner 9.4) and you can build a very power full system in Free license (instead of working with cracked software :oops: )
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

InTheSky wrote:hugin, Gimp, Raw therapy and Ubuntu 8.10 (or the sooner 9.4) and you can build a very power full system in Free license (instead of working with cracked software :oops: )
Unfortunately, when I checked them out, the free programs like hugin can't use a good method to automatically stitch without using a plug-in that violates a patent... Then again, you can often do a great job matching points by hand, it's just tedious. Autostitch and ICE are free for "non-commercial use" and are easy to use. ICE is the best yet in that it handles difficult stitches better, and is still automatic -- it's my current favorite. I've even used the pano software in Photoshop Elements with good results. I say try them all! :D (Although, I don't think I've tried the one that came with my printer....)
Alain
Initiate

Unread post by Alain »

Vidgamer wrote:
InTheSky wrote:hugin, Gimp, Raw therapy and Ubuntu 8.10 (or the sooner 9.4) and you can build a very power full system in Free license (instead of working with cracked software :oops: )
Unfortunately, when I checked them out, the free programs like hugin can't use a good method to automatically stitch without using a plug-in that violates a patent... Then again, you can often do a great job matching points by hand, it's just tedious. Autostitch and ICE are free for "non-commercial use" and are easy to use. ICE is the best yet in that it handles difficult stitches better, and is still automatic -- it's my current favorite. I've even used the pano software in Photoshop Elements with good results. I say try them all! :D (Although, I don't think I've tried the one that came with my printer....)
As far as I know there's nothing with the stitching programs that is patentable in Europe.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Truly impressive! Some day soon we will all need 172 GB of RAM just to work on our photos! :roll:

Dusty