Which zoom lens for a new APS-C user?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.

What are the top three lenses you would recommend to a new Alpha user?

Sony 16-80 CZ f/3.5-4.5
25%
Sony 16-105 f/3.5-5.6
7%
Tamron (Minolta) 17-35 f/2.8-4
4%
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
17%
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5
2%
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8
1%
Sony (Minolta) 18-70 f/3.5-5.6
12%
Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
1%
Sony/Tamron 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
2%
Sony/Tamron 18-250 f/3.5-6.3
30%

Total votes: 101

alphaPDX
Heirophant

Re: sig 17-70

Unread post by alphaPDX »

KevinBarrett wrote:There have been several concerns in dyxum reviews about the quality of the Sigma 17-70. That is not to say there haven't been any concerns about the Tamron 17-50 (or any other lens). However, the concerns about the Sigma were sufficient enough that nobody here seems to own a Sigma 17-70, or if they do, aren't yet willing to recommend it to others.
It is worth mentioning that the Sigma's zoom ring turns in the opposite direction, which is counter intuitive for a Sony/Minolta user...
I have two reasons to go with the 17-70:
I picked up a Sigma/Quantaray 18-200 for cheap, and when tests were similar enough for me not to be picky I put it and my Tamron 18-250 up for sale. The Tamron sold, so given the reverse twist of the 18-200 the 17-70 would not be much of a burden.

That's not a great reason since I do have more than two lenses :) so try this one -
This may sound harsh, and I don't mean it that way - but I see the choice as between an excellent 'tool' (17-50) and an excellent 'toy' (the 17-70).. and I want the fun that comes with focusing really close, whether 70mm 'macro' or 17mm wide. Both are very good lenses, but I believe I'd miss the close-focus nature shots more than shooting beyond 20mm at f/2.8. But hey, that's just me -- and it should be mentioned that when I bought the 18-250 I nearly returned it for the 17-50!

oops, I need to change my sig-line.. again :roll:
Jim R, Oregon -- a200 + lenses & stuff
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Which zoom lens for a new APS-C user?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Thanks, alphaPDX! I was hoping we'd get a Sigma 17-70 backer to chime in on here. I agree that the extra range is appealing, I just wish it didn't lose so much aperture on the way to 70mm.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I am amazed by the "heat" that the 17-50, 17-70 and 16-80 generate on the DPR Sony forum. It seems to be a topic that gets as passionate as the Sony ISO/noise one. Reading between the lines, it seems they all are great lenses, they each have a few pluses and minuses, so you pay your money and make your choice, as they say :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
alphaPDX
Heirophant

Unread post by alphaPDX »

My reasoning isn't flawless by any means (just count the lenses I've resold! :roll: ) - but today it makes sense!

Most of my low-light shots will be landscapes not people, so the f/2.8 is where I'd use it most often. And I'm keeping my 50/1.7 so that's a help (I'd likely sell it if I bought a 17-50). Also, I sold a really nice 17-35 Tamron to finance another lens (since sold :oops: ), so going from 17-35 to 17-50 sounds too marginal in hindsight. I'd really like a lens to drop to 16 (or even 15) for a true one-lens answer, but I have the Tamron 14/2.8 to fall back on - it's going to hurt backpacking w/that 660g beast in the bag, but I don't dare see the Sierra Nevada without it. Maybe one day I'll snap and flip that lens for an 11-18 or other relative lightweight, but that is for another day.. The 16-105 has great reviews + a 62mm polarizer is in hand.. so when I'm ready to make my purchase I'll have to watch carefully which button I press :lol:
Jim R, Oregon -- a200 + lenses & stuff
KevinBarrett

The more I think about where I'm taking my kit, the more I see that there won't be much use for the Tamron 17-50. My next lens will be one of the Sigma 10-20's, so that covers my wide end, then I've got a 24/2.8 (wish it was 1.8), a 50/1.7 (perfect!), and the 70-210/4. For indoors and low light, I'll have my bases covered with fast primes. For flexibility and leisure, I might go with a 16-80 or 16-105.

That said, I'm talking about replacing one lens with three or four. The Tamron 17-50 is a superb lens that you can use right now for very little cash.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

I'm so far out of the mainstream that I may die of thirst...six zooms and none of them listed :mrgreen:
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

My APS-C camera bag has my A700 with the Sony 16-80 CZ attached plus a Minolta 35-105 N and the Sony 70-300 G. All take 62mm filters and I have a filter satchel with a R72 infra-red ( not really needed that much with digital ), ND 0.9, graduated ND 0.6 and a circ polarizer.

Yes I would like something wider but the only wide angle zoom that has impressed me is the Tokina 11-16 which is not presently available. I may have to go for the new Sigma 10-20 but the idea of having to pay big dollars for good 82mm filters after just having bought a set of 77mm filters means that this is really an expensive purchase.
Clayton
Acolyte

Unread post by Clayton »

With the new kit lens available, I suspect there will be less need for new users to buy anything else. I have not tried the short one, but the 55-200 has my beercan collecting dust.
KevinBarrett

Clayton wrote:With the new kit lens available, I suspect there will be less need for new users to buy anything else.
Except for the shortened focal length range. I agree that the quality of the new kit lens looks to be far superior to the old 18-70, and the 55-200 has always been a sleeper. I listed here the ten most popular lenses that would be an upgrade in some way from kit lens specifications. I couldn't make more than ten choices, but now I see the Sigma 18-50/2.8 has got no votes in all this time (approaching a year). I'd throw it out to accommodate the new kit lens, but it would invalidate the survey results.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
HFnotts
Initiate

Unread post by HFnotts »

I have the CZ 16-80 and find it an excellent quality lens but a very irritating lens.
In anything but horizontal position it creeps out to the 80 setting. I moaned to the dealer (family run high street of excellent reputation) and was told that all the ones they have handled have been like this. Whilst sympathising and agreeing that a lens with a CZ designation ought to be better built there was nothing to be done. I have to say that another they had in stock did exactly this.
It is a minor moan for a high quality lens but its the little things that cause distractions whilst making quick photographic decisions in street style image making.
KevinBarrett

Concerning the 16-80, I think DK said it best, something to the effect of "superb optics in an inferior mount."
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

I'm surprised that I am the only voter for the Sigma 18-50 f2.8.

It replaced my standard Sony kit lens (after coming out on top in a review in one of the UK photo mags) and it stays almost permanently on my "back-up" a100.

I'm pleased with it so it gets my vote.
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 had big back focus problems when released - many Alpha users found it impossible to get sharp focus. I think this has affected the popularity of the lens ever since.

David
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

David Kilpatrick wrote:The Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 had big back focus problems when released - many Alpha users found it impossible to get sharp focus. I think this has affected the popularity of the lens ever since. David
I didn't know that David, but thanks for the heads up.

Either my photography is so poor that I haven't noticed it or, hopefully, my copy doesn't suffer as others may have done.

I'll dig out an example for your scruitiny if you want.

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

From my experience, back focus problems are not predictable and some people have focusing habits which minimise them. I have just been checking the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 with newly (and VERY BADLY!) fitted AF chip and the focus is dead on, exact, no correction needed on the A900. Others have reported differently.

David

(moderator's note: this post showed on the last of page two and the first of page three...when I deleted the "extra" copy, both disappeared, so I have restored it.)