Sony 16-80 CZ

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
strangename
Acolyte

Sony 16-80 CZ

Unread post by strangename »

I've a 16-80CZ on back order from Jessops. They say that they are having to wait until end July due to supply delays resulting from production problems!
Given the slightly mixed reviews of physical quality, is it possible they are changing the production process in some way? Anyone have a view on this?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sony 16-80 CZ

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

More likely they are producing a different lens right now... they get made in batches, generally, and this could delay availability of a new batch.

David
lightdreamer
Acolyte

Unread post by lightdreamer »

More likely the salesman, as most of them, is simply telling you a myth.

Best greetings Hans
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The availability of new stock in each country does vary. Landed orders may take time to process. So the salesman may not be lying or making it up.

Welcome to Photoclubalpha Hans!

David
lightdreamer
Acolyte

Unread post by lightdreamer »

David Kilpatrick wrote:
Welcome to Photoclubalpha Hans!

David
Thanks for the warm welcome David.

BG Hans
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

And a warm welcome from me too, Hans.
Enjoy the forum. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
strangename
Acolyte

Thanks all. My new A700 + 16-80CZ has now arrived, a month early!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Ooops :oops:

We got it all mixed...
A welcome to Strangename too, as the original poster.
Shame on us.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

I will say, I first played with the 16-80ZA back at PMA07 and the lens mechanically was rubbish. I played with it in stores after they got more common, still rubbish. But now, I tried one out, and it's like a whole different lens. The focus ring actual worked, still not what I would like. But it was now somewhat smooth, not the jerky rumble of the early ones. More in line with the old 24-105 focus ring.

Honestly gives a whole new light to that lens for me. I can only assume they tweaked things some with newer batches of the lens.
strangename
Acolyte

Well, I've had the 16-80CZ for a little while now. No physical issues at all, very hard to get CA!, barrel distortion at 16mm is more than I'd hoped for but that's all. Overall it's excellent.
NB: Using on an A700 so 35mm equivalent is 24-120mm.
Mr_Canuck
Acolyte

Unread post by Mr_Canuck »

I bought a one-year-old model in the spring and apart from zoom creep it has been very solid, physically speaking. Optically it is excellent and very satisfying to use next to some of my Minolta primes. I couldn't say this about the 16-105, Sig 17-70, or even Tamron 17-50 although it was pretty decent. The CZ has smooth, clear, sharp images with nice colour and contrast. And you really can't beat the focal range, f-stop speed combination. It really is a reason to choose a Sony camera body.
a850 | 28-135 | 70-300G | 20/2.8 | 35/2 | 50/2.8M | 100/02 | 200f2.8 | HVL-20FA | 3600HS | Border Collie X
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I bought my CZ 16-80 as a kit lens with my A700 18 months ago. It exhibited the "rumble" at around 70mm but on testing I could not find any deterioration at 100% so I did not send it to Sony for repair. Mine also "zooms out" when held vertical and pointing down. It often shows pronounced CA (green/red) at the margins but it produces remarkably sharp images. I understand that later models have overcome the "rumbling" and are less likely to "creep" when in a vertical position. This lens is my favourite and only off if I need either a tele or extreme wide, where my new Tamron 10-24 comes in handy. I was introduced to this lens on my old DSC-R1 and found it fantastic. It actually was the main reason for me going to Sony when the A700 came out rather than CAN or NIK. Thought the A700/16-80 combination better than the 40D/D300 alternatives at that time.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi,

My CZ 16-80 was bought around November 2008 and it's from the latter good batches that Sony delivered to the Alpha DSLR owners. This lens never did anything wrong that many early-version-buyers declared/complained that it did; never creeps when zooming; makes no sounds at all; all parts work smoothly, no forcing needed; no loosening or wobbling; when held vertically, stays as put as ever it was in other positions; it's sharp with good colours; and it can take a shower of rain and still work just as nicely as it did before.

It's always on my A100 unless I want to try an otheer lens for a particular optical reason. I hope to get an other Alpha DSLR where I can use this lens just as lovingly as I do now. And waiting patiently for that one good announcement to be made...or go for the A700 before it leaves the market for good. I certainly hope for a good camera for my good and nice CZ 16-80 even if I went FF also.

I'd recommend purchasing one to anyone provided that they make sure it's from one of the latest batches released to the shops.
Yildiz
HFnotts
Initiate

Unread post by HFnotts »

My lens was bought about the same time in November 2008 and I have a love/hate relationship with it.
It is very good in performance, nice and sharp with good contrast BUT it is the most annoying lens I have ever bought. When held even slightly less than horizontal it creeps out to maximum zoom length. It is the only lens that I have ever owned in my 54 years of photography which has done this and, to me, is a terrible advert for CZ and Sony.
I have contemplated selling it on several occassions and it is only the loss of money by so doing that holds me back.
I wish I had chosen almost any other lens than this one.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi HFnotts,

Mine is still under a year's warranty, I presume so should be yours. So could you not ask Sony for an other or send it to them for maintanence or repair if that's what it takes?

You might gain a lens that actualy doesn't give you any of that trouble.

Yildiz