What lenses do you use?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Jasper_D
Heirophant

Re: What lenses do you use?

Unread post by Jasper_D »

Not mentioning what never comes out of the cupboard anymore, mostly kitlenses or broken beyond repair, I´m almost all Sigma
  • Sigma 12-24/f4.5-5.6 EX DG
    Sigma 20-40/f2.8 EX DG (was standard lens on my α100)
    Sigma 50/f1.4 EX DG HSM (purchased together with the α900)
    Sigma 70/f2.8 EX DG Macro
    Sigma 70-300/f4.0-5.6 Apo Macro (my oldest, the 1996 or earlier version)
    Minolta 35-105/
The family will grow in about 2 weeks from now, I am awaiting the 70-400G, very happy to say. :D

On everyday basis, I carry a Löwepro Fastpack 200, you never know what opportunity presents itself on the way to the office. This always contains the α900 + 50/f1.4 mounted, the angleviewer FDA-A1AM plus two other lenses and polarizers for all. Most of the time but not always, the UWA and Macro.
Clarke
Acolyte

Unread post by Clarke »

Jasper-D, I'd like to know how you find the performance of the Sigma Macro 70 mm on the A900. Do you use it to take pictures of flowers ? Do you use it for non- close-up subjects and ,if so, do you like the results?
Regarding your choice of fast 50 mm lens , did you consider the Sony?
Thank you for considering these questions. I ask because I think I will purchase one of the full -frame bodies in the near future.
Regards,
Clarke
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Clarke wrote:... I ask because I think I will purchase one of the full -frame bodies in the near future.
Regards,
Clarke
Aha, you suffer from the same disease as I do :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Jasper_D
Heirophant

Apologies for not replying immediately. I have created a small gallery and put a roll (37 images) with a random mix of Sigma 70/f2.8 EX DG Macro shots. Well, random, I tried to discard the worst ones of course. This way, you can have a closer look yourselves and form your own opinion, I´d hate to be responsible for a bad decision based on me saying ´this is probably the sharpest lens I ever had!´. :)
Thank you so much for immediately putting me at work! No, just kidding, it is a dull, cold and rainy day over here, I really enjoyed doing it in fact. About time that subscription becomes more used! :wink:

Except for two crops, all are full size exports of mainly unprocessed raw, maybe just a few pixels off due to straightening (the architectural samples i.e.).

Furthermore, there´s some form of rudimentary protection on them, if you really want to pixel peep you can get the original for a small contribution. Please don´t flame me for that, I know they´re not worth it but I hate to see even a lousy picture abused commercially for free! Now I really hope there are at least 5,000 pixel peepers around the world, that would allow me to almost purchase the Sigma 800/f5.6! :D
More seriously, I trust that looking at them sized to X3Large will give a pretty good idea without the need for punctioning your wallets. EXIF data that matters is visible as well.

No portraits, my models didn´t sign them off and it´s a bit tricky publishing without over here. :(
Besides, I think the 70mm is just a bit short on FF for that anyway...

When shot using a tripod, the fact will be stated as first word in the description, otherwise it´s handheld. Tripod then being a Manfrotto 055MF4 with 410 junior gear head.

Also one caveat with macro at this focal length: the barrel extends a lot to get to 1:1, you´ll be very close to subject. Especially with the shade mounted, not even an inch away... So it´s not for shy or anxious insects imo.

You can find it here: http://www.stil-pictures.com/Photograph ... 1600_5BUX4

On the 50mm, no, I didn´t even consider the Sony. I have read numerous reviews since the Sigma came out, had a Minolta 50/1.4 once and while the Sony seems an enhanced / recalibrated version according to some, it´s still old tech to me, compared to a fully newly designed from scratch. The A-mount version was not available immediately over here, but I could test the Canon version in my usual shop, and placed the order for it in a heartbeat. Maybe I´ll create a small gallery for it as well... Time permitting of course. :roll:
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Your picture "Chaenomeles nivosa" (#19/37 in the Sigma 70/f2.8 EX DG Macro gallery) is an exceptional photograph! I like the contrast of the floral main subject and the artificial, architectural background which blend into each other in a surprisingly smooth and natural way.

Apart from that, I am very much interested in your experiences with the Sigma AF 50 mm 1:1.4 EX DG HSM lens ... I frequently use the Minolta AF 50 mm 1:1.4 lens but I hate the vignetting I get at apertures between f/1.4 and f/2. On the other hand, the AF 50 mm 1:1.4 EX DG HSM is a Sigma ... did you see the thread on DPReview about the Sony A850 which got damaged beyond repair from applying AF micro-adjustment to a Sigma lens?

-- Olaf
Clarke
Acolyte

Unread post by Clarke »

Jasper_D : thanks so much for marvellous , graphical reply. All the images are lovely. No question this lens is sharp. But you have shown that it is a versatile lens too. And I like the backgrounds in the images. I really like the colours in Acer ginala leaf. There is a 3 Dimensionality to the images: Tripod Cactus and Moth on wall and Moth on Door.
I also think the town images are beautifully crisp.
You have been most helpful.
-Clarke
Jasper_D
Heirophant

Thank you both!

Yes Olaf, I saw that thread, even contributed a few lines to it if you look really close. I don't know what to think, nor if Roy's cam is really broken. A lot of misunderstanding anyway...
I cannot check myself, as I have no conflicting lenses according to Paul Harvey's list, but I did clear all settings to clarify, mounted the 20-40 to see it indeed back focused again and subsequently could add new settings for it, no issues with that, camera behaving as expected. If Roy's camera is indeed broken, it might be simple coincidence, or we should have heard a lot more of the same issue methinks. Frankly, I doubt it is, I'm more and more convinced of a communication / understanding problem, not wanting to go the way others have suggested. :wink:

Didn't find good examples for wide apertures on the Sigma 50/1.4 so far, the few I've got do not show vignetting but being taken at dusk or at night, that doesn't say it's not there. The lens best performance being between f4 and f8, my first custom setting opens it at 5.6...
I'll be taking a few on purpose somewhen this week, when we'll get a bright blue sky back to check, to upload for you.