Tokina 11-16mm vs Tamron 11-18mm?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
motor
Heirophant

Tokina 11-16mm vs Tamron 11-18mm?

Unread post by motor »

I just received an e-mail from adorama that the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 are in for sony. ($599) I was seriously considering buying one for the reputation on the Canon and Nikon reviews are excellent. I found someone to buy my Tamron 11-18 for $400-$425. Is the Tokina worth upgrading for $175? When comparing the Tamron 11-18 @ 17mm vs the Tamron 17-50 both @ F8 the 17-50 is way more crisp and sharp. I am looking for a good sharp wide lens to match with the tamron 17-50? The majority of the shots will be outside and or landscape. I don't know how often I would use the 2.8 but to have it would be a plus. Just wondering if anyone had a chance to use it yet or has recommendations on the Tokina 11-16. I can't demo it for the closest place that caries them is some 10 hours away.

Motor
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Tokina 11-16mm vs Tamron 11-18mm?

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Motor - There is a review of the Tokina on the main Photoclubalpha site.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2010/02/0 ... -sd-if-dx/

DK reviewed the Nikon version. I think it is pretty clear that the Tokina outperforms the Tamron (except in range), but it is more expensive. If the price difference was thesame here in the UK (and we are talking mainly second hand for the Tamron of course) then I would have gone for the Tokina based on this, and other, reviews. However, in the UK the Tamron 11-18 goes for between £200 and £300 second-hand, while the Tokina is around £500 new.

I've had the Tamron 11-18 for a whole 3 days ( 8) ) and you can not comapre it to the 17-50/2.8 (which I've had for a long time). The 17-50 is of course brighter, and "sharper", but for me the 11-18 will be used stopped down, and I would rather have it than no UWA at all :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The Tamron 11-18mm is best at 11mm, weakest at 18mm, so testing it around 17mm would not favour it. The Tokina 11-16mm is a better lens, three years later in design, f/2.8 for more accurate focusing, slightly less zoom range for better quality. If you can afford it, go for it. But in the UK it is a very expensive option.

David
motor
Heirophant

Unread post by motor »

Hello All,

I am half way through my 6 week trip of the Eastern US coastal trip. I ended up selling my Tamron 11-18mm for $375 and put up $150 more for the new Tokina 11-16 2.8. I can't post any pictures right now but let me tell you.......This lens is OUTSTANDING :D It is very sharp! The hood and caps are of very high quality. The only negative point is the auto clutch switching AF to MF on the lens doesn't work. I called the company and they comfirmed it, only the body can switch between AF and MF on the sony model. Not really a big deal with me though for the A700 switches really easy. @ F8 on the tripod in Washington DC @ 9:30 at night the lens is wonderful. I shot fireworks for the 4th of July, night monuments and also used it at Gettysburg. I shot a great hot air ballon night glow with it and again tack sharp with very little distortion. It is perfect from 2.8-F16. I have several cousins that professionally shoot for the DC Post, CNN/ Fox news and C-Span and all three couldn't believe how this lens performed. One shoots the 10-20 sig and He states "IT'S GONE!" after seeing the performance of this lens. Just wanted everyone to know that lens for sony is for REAL! Very Impressive! I am not bad mouthing the tamron or sony 11-18 but this thing blows the 2 out of the water. For me it was just a small cash in. But to buy new I know it is expensive but well worth the money. Again I am NOT saying this in a negative manner I just want everyone to know this lens is for real since it is hard to get your hands on. I believe both Adorama and B&H are sold out and were expecting new stock if they haven't got them yet. I will post in 3 weeks after I get home and get to look @ all 6000 picts :lol:

I only have a small net book and TV screen. Just happend that The campground I am @ has internet access!

Till then.............

Motor!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks for the update Motor - glad you're enjoying the new lens - looking forward to seeing some of your pictures when you get home :D.

I've been giving my Tamron 11-18 a bit more use while on holiday in the last week. I learnt an important lesson about not zooming with your feet when holding an UWA up to your eye - it is very easy to bump in to things :D!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Andy B
Heirophant

Unread post by Andy B »

Thanks a lot, Motor! Inspired by your posts--and looking forward to a trip to Rome, Florence and Venice in September, I just purchased a new Tokina 11-16/2.8 over ebay from Berger Brothers for $598 US less the 8% Bing Cashback and another $12 in ebay bucks. My Tamron 11-18 will soon be off my a700 and posted for sale. I hope Mr. Obama appreciates my ongoing efforts to jumpstart the economy.

Berger Brothers had two more 11-16s left at their ebay store, by the way.

Andy