Sony f/3.5-5.6 18-70mm lens

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Macpherson43

Sony f/3.5-5.6 18-70mm lens

Unread post by Macpherson43 »

Does anyone know if the quality of this lens has changed since its introduction with the A100 and in particular compared with that supplied with the current A500 series of cameras?
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Sony f/3.5-5.6 18-70mm lens

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Macpherson43 wrote:Does anyone know if the quality of this lens has changed since its introduction with the A100 and in particular compared with that supplied with the current A500 series of cameras?
I have one of the original KM 18-70 lenses that came with my 7D kit, and have always been happy with it - but the opinion on the web was that there was significant variation between copies of that lens.

I have seen some claims that the later Sony versions were more consistently good, but have no personal experience to confirm that. I did sell Dusty the unopened copy of the 18-70 lens that came with my A700 kit, and he posted here that it seems to perform quite well. You might want to ask him for more details.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

the current A5xx series (A560/A580) cameras come with an 18-55 kit lens i.e. it's a different lens entirely.
The general opinion appears to be that the 18-55 is better but again there is some variability.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I thought my original copy of the 18-70 was good, but i believe the copy i got from tom to be even better. I also bought a barely used 18-55, and while I don't have enough experience with it yet to tell you how sharp it is, I took several photos at the local 4th of July parade with it where focus was missed. I'll be very careful for a while until I determine if it is because of the lens of if it's my own fault.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Macpherson43

Unread post by Macpherson43 »

Thank you to those who reponded to my question. I've been considering buying an a500 series camera and I wondered whether it was worthwhile paying the additional £80 or so for the current kit lens. The one I have on my a100 gives quite satisfactory results and so perhaps I'll just stick with it should I decide to change.