Second attempt at an 80-200mm HS APO G

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Second attempt at an 80-200mm HS APO G

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

:mrgreen:

This time everything seems so far perfect
After I returned the last one, I got my money back and patiently waited for another one to turn up
I picked this up from Germany from a dealer with 12 months warranty. The first lens was in good shape, very good really but the jamming AF and subsequent returns were a nightmare.
This is as close to as new as I can see it's barely been used if you pulled it off the shelf and said this is new, you'd believe it
Also came with the warranty card, box, and case caps etc all spotless. But I intend to use it v collecting it.
The AF is entirely different to the first the squealing/grinding is absent, there is no play at all in the focus ring. I am starting to think the first one was "a repair attempt gone wrong". This one is really quiet (for a screw drive) and fast, the accuracy is bang on with AF

There is one reason I decided to tough it out and stick with A mount, this is that reason I was just blown away with the look it's as near to perfect as I've seen on a lens and far and away the best rendering I've ever seen on a 70-200mm or equivalent. Putting things into perspective, on E Mount I could buy a used 70-200mm F4 G for more than this cost, quite a bit more. Thanks but erm no thanks :lol:
I still have the 100-200mm F4.5 and 70-210mm F4, they are all different but I like every one for it's unique look and appeal

I picked up a JJC case and screw in rubber hood too will show shots of those (just faster to pull it out the bag and leave the hood on even if it doesn't look quite as nice!)
DSC04169.JPG
DSC04169.JPG (108.86 KiB) Viewed 5636 times
DSC04170.JPG
DSC04170.JPG (80.94 KiB) Viewed 5636 times
DSC04172.JPG
DSC04172.JPG (99.31 KiB) Viewed 5636 times
Last edited by bfitzgerald on Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bfitzgerald

Re: Second attempt at an 80-200mm HS APO G

DSC04168.JPG
DSC04168.JPG (121.9 KiB) Viewed 5635 times
DSC04173.JPG
DSC04173.JPG (101.84 KiB) Viewed 5635 times
Whilst I don't always chase minty stuff, it is nice to get something in this condition too
Even has the protective wrap on the case sticker still never taken off. I'd wager this was bought and stored v seeing active duty
Hopefully I'll be able to use it a bit more in the summer
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Good find, very Canon Pro series lens colour. Hope it proves useful,
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Congratulations on your good purchase of the correct full format lens.
I think there will be no disappointment. :) At least I'm very pleased with my lens.
Everything in the life unusual!
bfitzgerald

I did test the last one albeit with some difficulty due to the jamming up focus. This seems the same ie optically excellent. It is not a perfect lens (there is some CA but not much). What it does is something very few lenses can, and that is hold it's resolution across the frame at 200mm (and most of the focal range) wide open. Even some of the latest lenses cannot match that performance at F2.8 - it is quite stunning. More than that the rendering is just how I like it, smooth and without any odd things we get on modern lenses (onion rings/bubbles and other distractions)
I've used the G2 Tamron and various Canon's, this gives up nothing optically to those lenses - in fact with the super smooth blur I would rate it higher

Many turn their noses up at the screw drive AF (I've mentioned it to a few E mount users who dismissed it based on not having SSM/Nano coatings/sealing) Welcome to spend €2800 odd that GMaster costs or near 2000 grey import

I don't find the AF too noisy, never been kicked out of a venue or dirty looks for screw drive AF. I think it's a bargain for the price. I wonder about the last one never had any gears jam before, or grease harden on the other lenses I have had. Hopefully this will be reliable it's very fast for AF and accurate
I did order a plastic hood which I think modded will provide deeper coverage. The lens does benefit from a deep hood for contrast. So far I'm super happy, I can't wait to use it in some meaningful way, and I feel it's time to shoot some 35mm with it too.

I've not tried it on the LAEA4 adapter, or crop bodies. It's still a useful lens on 35mm or APS-C in my books
I suppose bar a long tele, I'm pretty much done now with stuff, and I probably have too much anyway. Mission completed sort of :D
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Sounds a jewel in your collection, My Konica Minolta 17-35 has screw drive, its smooth and precise.
bfitzgerald

You should pick up some more lenses, prices are still quite good and probably might go down over time
Camera body prices are terrible right now (on any make), probably that shortage of parts etc. There are too many gems with Minolta at silly prices to not get them! I use the 100-200mm all the time, super small, light, F4.5 is decent for speed for what it is, many more out there for a low outlay
The A58 is one of the ones that is cheaper, over time I expect to pick up a few more bodies once the prices dump down (maybe next year or so)