Jay Maisel loves his Nikon 28-300mm

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Jay Maisel loves his Nikon 28-300mm

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Evidently Nikon have now discontinued this lens! Looks like F mount is starting it's wind down
https://nikonrumors.com/2021/05/12/niko ... nses.aspx/
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I am not surprised. Now that Nikon and Canon have started going all out for mirrorless with new lens mounts and new lenses they will focus on mirrorless gear and old DSLR gear will fall by the wayside.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Your probably right, I recently invested in a Canon M5, love it, easy to hold and operate, you also get a FS adaptor in the kit. The kit lens is a very good performer compared to most other brand kit lenses. Negative side, poor lens selection so far. but I can hang a couple of FS lenses on the front with the adaptor. I still have my old 650D but it hardly gets used now.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:33 pm In 2019 Olympus came out with the 12-200mm f3.5-6.3 (24-400mm-efl). If it wasn't so much larger than the wonderful 14-150mm f4.5.6 (28-300mm-efl) then I would get one.
I ordered a used 12-200mm yesterday so I will probably receive it in a couple of days. I also bought a used, but looks brand new, E-M1 II a few days ago. I am looking forward to trying out the lens. The E-M1 II + 12-200mm is a bit larger/heavier than my typical E-M10 II + ECG-3 grip + 14-150mm II that I have used so much for international travel for the last few years, but because of the pandemic I haven't done any international travel since November 2019. :( My last big international trip for 6-7 weeks was in January/February 2018 to Germany, Poland, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Morocco (3 weeks) and I mostly used my PEN-F + 14-150mm II. The PEN-F and E-M1 II are very close in size (length).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I have had the Olympus E-M1 II and Olympus 12-200mm f3.5-6.3 for 3 weeks or so and I like them a lot. I started a thread about them along with some sample, full-size photos. I added lots more info in further posts in that thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65611240

E-M1 II + 12-200mm and E-M10 II + ECG-3 grip + 14-150mm II

P1020201.jpg
P1020201.jpg (230.04 KiB) Viewed 29534 times
E-M1 II + 12-200mm and PEN-F + leather half-case + 14-150mm II

P1020202.jpg
P1020202.jpg (238.05 KiB) Viewed 29534 times
bfitzgerald

classiccameras wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:36 pm Your probably right, I recently invested in a Canon M5, love it, easy to hold and operate, you also get a FS adaptor in the kit. The kit lens is a very good performer compared to most other brand kit lenses. Negative side, poor lens selection so far. but I can hang a couple of FS lenses on the front with the adaptor. I still have my old 650D but it hardly gets used now.
I dunno the Canon rumours are saying EF-M is a no go, and that Canon are doing no more. That the R7 is going to take over for APS-C
If so,we've all bought into go nowhere systems!
https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r ... tions-cr3/

And a cheaper R10
https://www.canonrumors.com/here-are-a- ... tions-cr3/

Maybe I buy a Nikon 28-300mm when everyone has dumped it for mirrorless :mrgreen:
Maybe I'll buy an EF-M when they have tons around for video :shock:
classiccameras
Viceroy

It looks like Canon are not making any more FM lenses , I will wait and see how things develop with Canon, but things have been suspiciously quiet from Canon for too long. You may be right re the R7
classiccameras
Viceroy

I wonder what mount Canon will use on the R10, or will our older lenses become redundant unless there will be an adapter
bfitzgerald

Canon didn't really have many EF-M lenses, I expect people were adapting EOS stuff mostly or using some of the third party/other adapters.
Still it is odd, if they do call time on it - as it's been a strong seller from what I hear. I suppose they want to unify the mount. I'm still of the view, that it's a notable mistake from Canon, to completely ignore their EOS users. Their last affordable DSLR was the underwhelming 6dII, and the 5DIV is getting on a bit. 1DX III is top end stuff, not for mere mortals. This is why I ignored Canon and went Nikon - I think there is more chance of things happening on Nikon, and there is at least more up to date bodies. I know so many EOS users, who are really not happy Canon are shutting the door on them, many shoot professionally, many prefer OVF's (some use both but a large no. won't move they say)

The adapter EOS is very easy, I give them that to shift over. Yet if you dislike EVF's where is the choice? Used gear down the road?
I would at least expect them to make stuff for a good while longer, unlike Sony who just did the silent treatment (lol). I personally don't like Canon's way of doing business -they're just ignoring their users too. R7 might be a hit, but I think it might be expensive too, as in full frame expensive. Can they move over their long neglected APS-C action shooters? Fuji are evidently dropping something very soon.

Wonder how the new OM camera is doing? This is where I am a bit more cost v many FF cameras! One for Henry's wish list :D
V210011BE000_Olympus_Fotocamera-Olympus-OM-1-con-obiettivo-12-40mm-f2.8-PRO-II_01.jpg
V210011BE000_Olympus_Fotocamera-Olympus-OM-1-con-obiettivo-12-40mm-f2.8-PRO-II_01.jpg (82.13 KiB) Viewed 28147 times
classiccameras
Viceroy

It looks like I bought into a dead end with the Canon M5, I hoped there would be more lenses to come but sadly not. I bought the M5 because I wanted a Cropped APS-C camera in a small body. The adapter I got with the kit enables EFS lenses to be used but with their size it totally defeats the object of 'small' I'm now looking at small again but really the only safe alternative is Micro 4/3, I looked at Fuji and for all the high praise they get for image quality, especially Jpgs I just could not warm to the cameras, plus Fuji lenses are expensive

I don't think Olympus or Panasonic are about to fool about with different mounts. At least there is a very good lens choice with M/4/3 and a good used market. Although Panasonic have a few FF cameras, I wonder if Olympus dare put their toe in the FF water.
I don't mind EVF's the Sony one is quite good, so is my Panasonic FZ 330 bridge. I wouldn't say the EVF on the M5 is anything to write home about. My old Canon 650D OVF is nicer to use. Most of Canon's sales globally are consumer DSLR's with a few venturing into the enthusiasts camp.

I would like to see what Cropped APS-C cameras are due to be launched by Canon, and are they giving up small, may be expensive as you point out.
I think my Canon loyalty has now gone.
Sony had no PR to talk of and everything was done by stealth
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I stopped by the super big Yodobashi in Akihabara, Tokyo recently. Here are a few photos of the inside and some info:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66172107

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66174401

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66176790

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66177546

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66172836

The big camera stores in Japan are great.
classiccameras
Viceroy

There are some pics on and specs on the Net for new Canon R7 & R10.,initially I'm not too impressed with the R-10, both now share the Cannon FF mount and an adapter is supplied with the R-10 so EFS lenses can be use with the old mount. Small its not, yes, its compact as you can get but not as small as the M5/50. I thought down sizing cameras and lenses were the new way to go, but Canon seems to have lost sight of this, So we now just have M/4/3, Nikon, Fuji offering CSC. I personally thought the M5/50 was an ideal size to compete with M/4/3
bfitzgerald

That shop in Japan is the business! Would be fun to wander around there.
I've not really taken it in yet, it seems as I would expect going for the 7D crowd with the R7. The R10 is sort of "expensive entry level" to me, I can see how it might appeal as a more budget friendly option. Yet those $500 Canon entry DSLR's, they are sort of the price people are into - starting off that is. I don't think a grand is going to work as the new entry level.

Surprised the EVF's are lower res, for the R7 anyway (R10 is lower magnification quite a bit less). R10 also has that crappy small battery. Seems to me the R7 is where the action is. Price, sort of as expected on that near the Fuji XT4

That weird Joystick/combi dial on the R7 is unusual. I'm not sure how that is going to work, it looks a bit "high" like the R5/6 in placement.
FxvUiyozeHTGYCmrgYCaHD.jpg
FxvUiyozeHTGYCmrgYCaHD.jpg (125.13 KiB) Viewed 28026 times
Both bodies have AF/MF and a button in the middle, R6/7 don't have this!
Screenshot 2022-05-24 220336.jpg
Screenshot 2022-05-24 220336.jpg (90.55 KiB) Viewed 28026 times
Canon finally worked out it's a good idea to have an ISO button on the top plate, again missing from R6/7. I am thinking maybe R6/7 refresh late this year or early 2023? Canon don't normally like to have too many differences on body design, and there are a few here on cheaper bodies.
canon-eos-r7-top-824x513.jpg
canon-eos-r7-top-824x513.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 28026 times

They do sort of do what Sony did not on E Mount, offer at least one action/sports/wildlife - serious body with dual slots. The "mini DSLR" look is what Canon seem to like, aside from missing buttons/dials I would like to see. I think the body shape is nicer than the boxy Sony stuff. BTW that old shot from Henry in 2012, in the camera shop. How obvious it was Sony were pushing E Mount much more v A mount. That big NEX7 banner, smaller A77 one under that. Clear as day where Sony were going there, even 10 years ago writing was on the wall!
classiccameras
Viceroy

Yes, the Canon M series have been good sellers and in particular the M5/50, people including myself liked the mini DSLR styling of the M5/50, even at that size Canon got the ergonomics about right. It seems that the R10 is the new entry level but it would have to come down to entry level DSLR prices to have any success, I guess over time prices will drop.
I thought with the M5 canon were going to get serious about CSC, like Nikon have, but that might all change as well for Nikon. I'm very disappointed that Canon have or are abandoning M mount as it was a good CSC that had potential although at launch it was way over expensive.

I don't think I would be interested on the new Canon R10, I would rather move to M/4/3, or Fuji
bfitzgerald

R10 seems like a hard sell to me, much smaller buffer/battery, single slot. For what's on offer there really I think the price is far too high.
1 Grand odd isn't going to fly for most for an "entry level" camera. Lot of DSLR's hit the spot at half that price, that's the sweet spot. If camera makers want to get people interested, prices are going to have to come down. (once the chip thing is over!). 300 less maybe

R7 might do better, for me I'd rather go FF at these prices (plenty of used stuff around half that price). I'm not a wildlife shooter though, some are.
I don't count Nikon as so far I don't see a high interest in APS-C on MILC. Fuji are about to release some new stuff, I think the price will be even higher, let's see what they do. Sony are at this time asleep on APS-C, their original customers ;-D. No stock, nothing being made - maybe they can do a comeback!

Can't see Canon supporting 3 mounts, they could but I think M is going to be wound down, EOS is mostly too - nothing happening there at all. Their last DSLR FF was 2017, hence why I didn't buy it, price is alright, not putting up with that lousy dated sensor sorry Canon :mrgreen:
I honestly would have looked at an R6, it's just too expensive for me about 600 more than I paid for the Nikon DSLR, again sorry Canon you're too pricey, and over 2.5 grand for a plastic body, that's a hard one to accept too.