Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I see B&H have this little baby in stock now, has anyone seen a review on it yet?
Greg
oops forgot the url

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... l#includes
kysham
Heirophant

Re: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM

Unread post by kysham »

I just received this lens earlier today! :mrgreen: Makes me a happy camper for the weekend. Here is a test shot fired straight out of the camera with this lens. Only resized & added my signature to it. Nothing else done.

note: I copied this off my photoblog site.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Congratulation Kysham and nice shot you posted. Keep them coming. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

I'd be interested in opinions on this lens, I'm looking to pick one up myself.

The cost of the equivalent Sony is way outside my budget and would prefer an SSM/HSM lens which rules the Tamron out.

Sim
kysham
Heirophant

Unread post by kysham »

redsim74 wrote:I'd be interested in opinions on this lens, I'm looking to pick one up myself.

The cost of the equivalent Sony is way outside my budget and would prefer an SSM/HSM lens which rules the Tamron out.

Sim
Then you had already nailed the target lens. What are you waiting for? :wink:

Do realise that it eats up battery juice quite rapidly compared to a non-HSM lens. So, take note of that.
redsim74
Oligarch

kysham wrote: Then you had already nailed the target lens. What are you waiting for? :wink:

Do realise that it eats up battery juice quite rapidly compared to a non-HSM lens. So, take note of that.
I can't flaw your logic there, kysham! :lol:

I was aware that SSM hits the battery somewhat harder than screw drive, but I'd likely be using the lens with V-grip and dual batteries.

In any case, I completed the order this afternoon and will pick it up tomorrow! :D
kysham
Heirophant

Unread post by kysham »

redsim74 wrote:
kysham wrote: Then you had already nailed the target lens. What are you waiting for? :wink:

I can't flaw your logic there, kysham! :lol:

I was aware that SSM hits the battery somewhat harder than screw drive, but I'd likely be using the lens with V-grip and dual batteries.

In any case, I completed the order this afternoon and will pick it up tomorrow! :D
Congratulations! :D
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Congrats from me too. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I had to wait until last week for this lens to come in stock in Alpha mount in the UK. Our son Richard already has one in Nikon mount, and even that didn't appear on the stocks at Sigma until a couple of months ago. So, I am surprised to go back and find this thread dated to November with actual lenses on sale - photokina was only two months prior, and at photokina Sigma had no Sony HSM examples - just a promise that HSM would be introduced for Sony. Not one example of any lens type actually with HSM for Sony at the end of Sept. It was two years previously that I really pushed Sigma to make HSM for Sony, and got a meeting of four of their Japanese technical staff together with the British execs, to explain first of all that Sony had SSM - at that time they did not even realise SSM existed! - and then to emphasise how much bigger the Sony market was going to get.

But, 2008, only promises no hardware. I thought they did pretty well to get lenses on sale within six months, I didn't realise they must have been making them already when photokina was on.

It is a superb lens and I would rate it higher than the Minolta 70-200mm/Sony 70-200mm on several important counts - faster focusing; closer focusing; flatter field; less CA; more even sharpness across full frame; half the price; really good bokeh but some trace of 'colour bokeh' effects, a general failing of Sigma fast long lenses. The lens also has a fairly warm colour rendering.

David
kysham
Heirophant

Unread post by kysham »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I had to wait until last week for this lens to come in stock in Alpha mount in the UK. Our son Richard already has one in Nikon mount, and even that didn't appear on the stocks at Sigma until a couple of months ago. So, I am surprised to go back and find this thread dated to November with actual lenses on sale - photokina was only two months prior, and at photokina Sigma had no Sony HSM examples - just a promise that HSM would be introduced for Sony. Not one example of any lens type actually with HSM for Sony at the end of Sept. It was two years previously that I really pushed Sigma to make HSM for Sony, and got a meeting of four of their Japanese technical staff together with the British execs, to explain first of all that Sony had SSM - at that time they did not even realise SSM existed! - and then to emphasise how much bigger the Sony market was going to get.

But, 2008, only promises no hardware. I thought they did pretty well to get lenses on sale within six months, I didn't realise they must have been making them already when photokina was on.

It is a superb lens and I would rate it higher than the Minolta 70-200mm/Sony 70-200mm on several important counts - faster focusing; closer focusing; flatter field; less CA; more even sharpness across full frame; half the price; really good bokeh but some trace of 'colour bokeh' effects, a general failing of Sigma fast long lenses. The lens also has a fairly warm colour rendering.

David
Thanks for your evaluation and verdict on the lens. I'm quite surprised myself when you mentioned that UK was a tad late in getting stock for this lens. And to realize that you actually had a hand in persuading Sigma to produce lenses with HSM for Alpha and yet receive it later than us in Malaysia astounds me more! But to be fair, mine was a grey import from Hong Kong. No choice, I need it for a wedding shoot I had to do in early December!

I actually was looking for the Tamron 70-200 because based on what I researched on the internet, the Tamron was supposed to be marginally better than the Sigma in terms on image sharpness across the aperture range. However, I couldn't get a hold on the Tamron anywhere I went in Malaysia. I only had a contact with the Sigma in stock (in fact, he got in 3 units). It was late November and I couldn't take the risk of not having a medium telephoto zoom lens by early December where my next wedding job was. So in the end, I bit the bullet and purchased the Sigma. The shots turned out pretty good for me and I was a happy camper. Am still a happy camper now!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I have used the Tamron in Canon fit and the Sigma in Nikon and Sony. Don't worry. The Sigma is higher resolution than the Tamron and appears to be a true apochromat. Both have a slight 'halo' effect wide open (as does the SAL 70-200mm G) but the Sigma has a sharper core image and a fuzzier sort diffused aberration to soften it. The Tamron has a very distinct corona of aberrations at high contrast edges. Both clean up at just half a stop down and are extremely sharp at f/4. The Sigma focus speed leaves the Tamron standing.

David
redsim74
Oligarch

Thanks to all for your replies and opinions.

I picked the lens up Saturday morning, but with the weather being poor I haven't had much opportunity for testing. Initial impressions are very positive though.

As David noted, there is a -- not unpleasant -- softness wide open at the long end, but I'm pretty happy with the results even at f/3.2. Once it hits f/4 it is very sharp indeed.

Cheers!

Sim
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Looks like Sigma wins another one, thanks for the info David.
Greg
chmodx
Acolyte

Unread post by chmodx »

Hi,

I've had one of these lenses on my Alpha since November. It is great, I'd avoid using any teleconverters, AF tends to go a little crazy, it does the "range" cycle when using one instead of picking up focus right away. Even in bright sunlight, the teleconverter makes the lens very soft. Post up some test shots.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The new HSM-compatible Sigma 2X converter has few problems. Focus is a bit fast, and the lack of a limiter is not welcome, but it works.

David