New Sony lenses

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bossel
Viceroy

Re: New Sony lenses

Unread post by bossel »

bfitzgerald wrote:As for the 30mm macro <...> really massive demand from all A mount users ;-)
At 30mm, the object to be photographed must sit nearly inside the lens to get 1:1 :lol: On the other hand, if you can get that close, that might allow for some interesting perspectives!
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bossel wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:As for the 30mm macro <...> really massive demand from all A mount users ;-)
At 30mm, the object to be photographed must sit nearly inside the lens to get 1:1 :lol: On the other hand, if you can get that close, that might allow for some interesting perspectives!
The 30mm macro is a DT lens, it will be similar to a 50mm macro on ful frame.
I don't know how much demand a lens like this can have. I think Sony is launching a entiere new line of lenses, probably SSM and different design/coatings, in order to replace the Minolta's era lenses (most of Sony designers are former Minolta people, so this still are Minolta lenses on the Sony era)

Then, if they make a fast-focus macro: that will be an improvement!

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I know some like macro, but what's the point? Will it be really cheap or something???

I would be VERY interested in..
35mm f1.8-f2 (much more useful on APS, good on FF too)
85mm f1.8 is VERY VERY important..we have nothing, just the wallet killing Carl Zeiss.
All sony needed to do is update the F1.7, none of this APS only baloney.

As for the SSM thing, we will see..but are we likely to get cheapie in lens motors rather than high quality SSM ones??
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

David Kilpatrick wrote:... the big G looks like the reissue of the 400 mm f/4.5 or a revision of the same.
I'd say the big white lens in the image above is too big for a 400/4.5. And for a 600 mm it's not big enough. To me it rather looks like a 400/4, a 500/4, or, most likely, a 500/4.5.

-- Olaf
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Agreed, it looks bigger, but it could be anything - 450mm, 400mm, 500mm - f4 to f4.5. It's not a 600mm or a 300mm so the possibilities are open, also it's probably not an f/2.8 or f/3.5.

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

The 55-200 doesn't look any different from the Tamron design...any chance it could be updated with a non-rotating filter ring? Honestly, I'd have picked up one at CC for $150 if not for that little niggle.

On the upside, we called for inexpensive lenses, and except for the monster in the back, these sure do look the part.
Last edited by KevinBarrett on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

SSM motors don't have to be large or expensive. I would guess that the technology costs no more than using a micromotor and is more reliable. They do need some space, and the new 30mm and 50mm lenses would be able to make room by cutting down on some of the extra glass needed for full frame. Also, they would be lighter optical units, and the 30mm could possibly use conventional focusing and avoid a really short minimum distance (caused by internal or front group focus).

Personally I think the 30mm and 50mm point to an EVF or hybrid small DSLR body and the 18-55 and 55-200mm new designs (probably SSM) support this. HD video with active AF becomes almost possible if you can guarantee SSM-type focusing not body drive focus. It's a non-starter with mechanical coupled lenses. The 30mm and 50mm look like they are made for a new body paradigm, not to match bodies like the A700.

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Are you going to buy one of these APS-C primes, Don?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

Best I can tell by reference measurements, it's similar in size to the old 400G, but maybe a hair longer, and fatter, so I'm thinking 4/400 at this point.

I think people need to get over it on the DT primes. Cheap Slow FF primes are dead. If you are buying a cheap slow prime, you aren't shooting FF bodies, you have an APS body and want a prime. Pentax has made this clear for years, and Nikon has started the same path.

A 2.8/30DT Macro is a great lens, It has the same effect as Oly and there 25mm Macro, or Tokina/Pentax and their 35mm macro. It's for APS shooters and makes more sense than a FF 50mm macro for them. It's probably very light too.

Same for the 1.8/50DT. They can make it small, light, and for what a FF version would have cost, they probably have made it with an ED element, maybe a ring motor. Good trade off. If you are looking for FF, buy the old 1.7/50 or buy the 1.4/50.

I'm not so sure the 28-75 is the same lens. It's shaped different, looks slimmer, or it's longer (pick one). David is right the front glass looks similar, but everything else doesn't. It almost looks like the distance window is at the front of the lens. And it looks to have a switch on it down lower. Sony may have done some serious re-work, maybe SSM, maybe they changed the front filter ring to a common size. It's a lens that should have been out when Sony launched. Sony probably lost many users because they didn't have such a lens. It could though be a in house design, just made much cheaper. If so, it's good for Sony, as it means they have done something C and N haven't, and that's offer cheaper versions of lenses with similar specs to high end. Yeah, Canon and Nikon both have their 24-70s. And APS lenses similar to the 16-80ZA, but the both have doggie-doo for FF cheaper lenses. What's not acceptable is the lack of the 24-105. This could be a rushed stand in while it went back to the drawing board. Still, it defeats the purpose, since those of us wanting one aren't looking for a cheaper lens over the 24-70ZA, we are looking for a longer range, slower lens for usefulness. I won't agree with DK about the C and N's. The Nikon 24-120 is longer lens, and yes, it's doggie-doo, but it's still not a 4/24-105 effort. The canon is loved by more than I see hated. But it's still a gen I lens, and is said to be replaced by a MkII soon. What they were able to do, doesn't mean much on what Minolta, Sony can do. Lets let Sony try it and base things on what they do, not what C and N did.

I think a full re-do to get off Tamron design could be the reason for the 55-200, or SSM the other. But it could be the simply wanted to clean things up into a nice matched set.

The whole new look here is odd. Sony worked to make all their lenses match, and here they go to very KM/Olympus look. I don't get it. Maybe silver band is to symbolize the cheap lines. And these lenses don't match each other very well. It's like sony ditched 3 years of work. Yet the same bad grips are their, smooth, and splined.
bfitzgerald

I can only speak for myself, but as a long term interest, I view APS-C as a stop gap to FF. Yes it's going to be years away, but when they do get affordable, I won't have a load of them to not be very useful on a FF body.

The 50mm didn't need a DT, not at all..it's a small, pretty light lens as it is..really a wasted opportunity IMO. The only good thing is it will drive the 1.7 ebay price down, I hope..to more reasonable levels. Not a hope in hell I am going near any DT primes..hell will freeze over!
Sure a £70 DT 50mm might work..on price alone, but I don't see this anywhere near as cheap, I bet it's more than the Canikon 50mm f1.8's, and if it is..I made a good point DT= Dumb thinking!
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

FF for cheap consumer stuff won't happen until we leave silicon. They won't be getting much cheaper than 2k for a long time. Factor in inflation and so forth, and they might get more expensive over time. Take any level of body you want, and add 800-1000 bucks to it for FF. So you won't see a cheap FF unless it's a major POS body. Look at the original 5D for an example of this, super crappy body, and was on sale for 3 years are liquidation prices to get the price low. And then your mirror falls off.

For the same price, the DT lens will be higher quality and lighter. Plain and simple. Ebay has all the cheap FF primes you can ever want. The biggest mistake is they probably should have done a 1.8/35DT like nikon did. Or it should have been smaller than what is shown.

Most new users aren't going to go used, and they have no plan for FF. It will make ebay prices drop on 1.7s, as they have been for a while now.

I wanted to see them make this thing small. Or do as I long have mentioned, make a 1.8/50ZA to create a cult like lens, a cheap ZA that everyone runs out and buys, even if it's not super cheap, it's still a dirt cheap ZA.

If You want FF, you have options. Until now, APS only folks have been forced to buy un-needed FF gear. We will have to wait on the price, I'm guessing 150-200 USD. If they bundle it with bodies which appeal as backups, I might go for it. I have a 1.7/50RS, if this lens is better and lighter, I might switch up for this. I have the 1.4/50, but it hasn't wowed me much, and as a backup super fast lens it's heavier than I want.
bfitzgerald

Don APS only lenses will only make sense if they are cheaper..

I doubt they will be. I bet right now..that this new 50mm f1.8 DT is more expensive than the FF Canikon ones, I hope I am wrong..let's see.
Yes I shoot some 35mm, but not mega volume by any means..that is not the issue

Who wants a 50mm anyway on APS? I would MUCH prefer a 35mm, much prefer a good portrait lens like the Canon 85mm f1.8, where is that golden egg?
I am all for affordable lenses, but hmm..
I plan to live for another 45 years or so..so yeah, a few years here and there for a FF digital..ain't no big deal to me ;-)
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

PhotoTraveler wrote: I'm not so sure the 28-75 is the same lens. It's shaped different, looks slimmer, or it's longer (pick one). David is right the front glass looks similar, but everything else doesn't. It almost looks like the distance window is at the front of the lens. And it looks to have a switch on it down lower. Sony may have done some serious re-work, maybe SSM, maybe they changed the front filter ring to a common size.
It looks like the same 67mm to me, right down to the bayonet. Also, the front focus window is exactly where it should be if the Tamron/KM design is changed - same position of focus ring. And the focus lock is just the same addition compared to KM, the Tamron has it - different position, maybe. Overall it looks too much the Tamron not to be a revision of the lens (zoom barrel and focus placing, overall size, lock) - but that does not mean it is identical.

However, knowing Sony, I'll bet this proves to be a straight cosmetic/minor tweak variant of the Tamron selling for around £450 (where the CZ 24-70 is £1100+) to allow future Alpha 900 or 900v2, 900cheapie kits.

David
bfitzgerald

Don I respect you as much as I do George W..

You are a blowhard, and a bad one at that.
Finding those 50mm f1.7's a bit heavy eh? I know they just weigh a TON don't they!

50mm is a "normal" lens on FF, the only reason people buy the 1.7 is because it's cheap..and you defended Nikon with their 35mm f1.8..least it's or more use.
You can try your bully boy tactics on whoever you like, but you get as good as you give from me, learn your lesson...you need to engage brain at times, not mouth.
bfitzgerald

Don the last time I started a photo thread, you ended up spamming it with your usual OTT psycho posting style....posting photos of spray can graffiti in a portrait thread..very useful
I know what I am, yes I am over opinionated at times, often I need to learn to shut up a bit! Yeah..I can live with that. I have no problems with a heated debate, none at all. But I at least try to respect people..even if I don't agree with them. I have also learnt to give some room on typed posts..people can come across the wrong way at times..but there are limits.

You are the one banned from most internet forums, not I..you have your ISP blocked as well on many..you went onto the IR forum..and caused all hell to break lose, you got banned so many times from DPR, I lost count. Using what could only be described as deeply degrading and insulting remarks, to many forum members.

I for one am sick to death of the ignorance, and pure lack of respect for anyone that uses this forum..all I ever read "get a clue" "get a clue", you even managed to insult the owner of this site, lord knows why you are still here. I might not win a popularity award..true, but I think you will find your photo on the dartboard and not mine.

So for once, learn some manners, if you cannot SHUT UP..go away..and leave people in peace.

I hear the sound of clapping in the background..do you get the message??