New Sony lenses

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Re: New Sony lenses

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

While I think Sony is definitely thinking about video, just doing SSM or micro-SSM doesn't really get them there. There is still the problem of the aperture.

Sony sells their A to C (or is it PL) mount adapter. It has an aperture ring on it, so yes there is control, but that's about it. Not very elegant. (it also only goes to F1.4, so I don't think they have F1.2 plans any time soon).

Look at what Panny Did with the G1HD, electronic stepless aperture system.

If Sony is going to go all in-lens motors, they better go all electronic aperture too. I'm pretty sure support is in there someplace for years, but never used (vectis was all electronic, later similar support was added to A mount for SSM). If they put that in, it would make video support much easier, it would allow for TS lenses (much easier that is), and set them up for a move to EVILs.

It will be interesting to see if those cheap lenses have electronic apertures too. Sony basicaly went back to tamron and grabbed the Canon or updated Nikon versions of the 55-200 and 28-75. The Canon versions all ready have the electronic apertures in them, so the parts are there for them to do it.
alexramos7
Initiate

Unread post by alexramos7 »

Some user and forum said this lens will be a 500mm f/4.5 and is very probably...
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Very old fashioned suggestion I know but how about a new 24-50/2.8-4.0 ? Small, rather cheap and optically rather easy to design and produce. Very usable if you look at the lens as a moderate wide angle substitute.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Noone has so far suggested the obvious reason for the new lenses - Sony makes video cameras which accept Alpha mount. They also market G lenses to this sector. I'll bet they introduce SSMcompatible AF to a future HDVideo camcorder line which accepts A mount. The 30mm macro and 50mm f/1.8 would be incredible lenses on a camcorder - like a 200mm macro and a 350mm f/1.8 (or even longer depending on the formart). These lenses also look right for that job.

David
In general, I think it is a good move to go APS-Prime. As Don said, the main market for Sony DSRL department are APS sensors, ant it will be for many years. Many people thought the A900 will be the last try Sony gave to the DSRL department and I don't know if they are selling lots of cameras or what they decided, but bringing this lenses to the market is a way to say "we stay and our target still is been the second in the market".

If this lenses are SSM and/or electronic aperture, we will be seen a new buch of DSRLs and probably video capables by Photokina/end of the year. I'm happy about it. I'm not planning to buy any APS prime, nor an APS zoom, but a DSRL video capable and/or a less expensive FF camera -even if I can only use my lenses manually.

David is right: this lenses can be designed in a way they can be used on prosumer and proffesional HD cameras, as a way to expand the lens' market. This is one of the advantages for Sony: I'm bet they did re-utilize the technology they developed for the PS (that processor is nasty good) on the Exmor processor -the next time somebody say Sony is selling the PS at lost, better first think on this, on the format-battle they won with the Blu-ray and so on.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;