Minolta 100mm f/2

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Ghor
Acolyte

Minolta 100mm f/2

Unread post by Ghor »

Hello!
This is my first post even if I've already read many of your interesting discussions in this forum. I would like to know your opinion about this prime lens because I was looking for a second hand 85mm1.4 but I've found one 100mm f/2 at a good price and "like new". It's known to be sharp and probably sharper than the minolta 85mm1.4 but I'm more concerned about its bokeh. Is it good or is it better to spend a little bit more and to go for the 85mm instead?
bossel
Viceroy

Re: Minolta 100mm f/2

Unread post by bossel »

If you don't go for the 100/2 let me know where I can get it :mrgreen:

Both lenses are said to be excellent. I don't own either, but from checking eBay etc myself, I know that the 100/2 is like impossible to find (like 35/2) whereas I sometimes saw a 85/1.4.
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Superb lens. Check it out.

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/rev ... ?IDLens=73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

That's a lens many here would cross national boundaries to get. On foot. In a blizzard.

David
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Ghor wrote:... I've found one 100 mm f/2 at a good price and "like new". [...] but I'm more concerned about its bokeh. Is it good or is it better to spend a little bit more and to go for the 85 mm instead?
Uh oh ...careless ranting! Now we are forced to tar and to feather you if you don't get that AF 100/2 at a good price.

-- Olaf
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

David Kilpatrick wrote:That's a lens many here would cross national boundaries to get. On foot. In a blizzard.

David
barefoot over broken glass too.
Ghor
Acolyte

Unread post by Ghor »

lol I did not realise how highly rated is this lens! Is it better than the 85mm1.4G for portraits? Or is it just rare to find?
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Here's your chance then

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINOLTA-Maxxum-AF ... 240%3A1318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

From what I've been able to find out about this lens it looks like quite an ok photo taker, being of an older style though with the narrow MF focus ring, and it's not an actual macro lens so it's probably on the heavy side, but quite a decent lens all the same, pretty good actually from some sample shots I saw, http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11303
and the bokeh is not bad either, going by those shots that is...now it all depends on the price...how much are they asking? and where is it?
Actually we should probably relieve you of the temptation of acquiring such an old lens, slow focusing etc. so if you just tell us where it is we can send in a team to cordon off the area and post guards etc. too prevent it falling into the wrong hands..... :lol:
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

artington wrote:Here's your chance then

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINOLTA-Maxxum-AF ... 240%3A1318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, there's pricing and pricing - this one is fishing for a windfall.

David
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Well, this is clearly the market price because it's gone already. I saw another one a couple of weeks ago at a similar price and that went in a brace of shakes too!
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Lets hope Sony is listening!!! We need the F2s back!! 28/35/50/85/100 and at normal prices. Don't need F1.4 and CZ!!
Ghor
Acolyte

Unread post by Ghor »

We sure would like more choice (cheaper primes) but I like Zeiss glass and my 50mm 1.4 is my favourite lens so if Sony decides to sell a fast CZ short prime, I will have to explain to Mrs.Ghor why I NEED another lens.... :lol:
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Ghor wrote:lol I did not realise how highly rated is this lens! Is it better than the 85mm1.4G for portraits? Or is it just rare to find?
I don't think is "better" than the 85mm but just rare. like the 100 2.8 soft focus: another gem BTW

Same distortion in prices happened with the Minolta 85mm before Sony came out with the Zeiss -now you can always find a 85mm Minolta on ebay for about 800 US$ or less, that is a lower prices than 2 years ago's 800 US$ that was the cheapest you could get.

regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

artington wrote:Here's your chance then

Wow!

Sorry if this makes some of you green with envy, but having bought an A900 recently, I looked through my collection of Minolta glass, as I thought I had a 100mm macro somewhere. I did, but I also found a 100mm f2, which I had forgotten about! I can't remember what I paid for it, but I probably paid rather less than £200 for it, during the dark days before Sony came to rescue the Minoota AF mount. I didn't realise I was sitting on a goldmine (slight exaggeration)...