Kenko 2X Teleplus MC-7 DG

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
motor
Heirophant

Kenko 2X Teleplus MC-7 DG

Unread post by motor »

Sorry to ask a dumb question but I just want to check before I make a purchase. Does a new Kenko 2X Teleplus MC-7 DG fit and work on both the 70-200G and 70-400G on the A700? I already have the sony 1.4 but it would be nice to use a 2x at times especially on the 400G. If this teleconverter does work on both G's and the KM 28-75 as David says I have a huge range with one small converter. I know it will be manual on the 70-400G if it fits but it should be automatic on the 70-200G correct? David does it work automatic or manual only on the KM 28-75?

If I want to use one "2x teleconverter" for these three lenses (70-200G, 70-400G and KM 28-75) is this the best or only choice? I am open for a more expensive better teleconverter if it is recommended. So far this is the only converter I think, that fits these three. I don't know much about them and everything I read seems vague to me.

Thanks

Motor
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Kenko 2X Teleplus MC-7 DG

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

According to Kenko, it has no chip - I have been in correspondence with them. There is a new generation of Teleplus appearing in March 2010 with chips, including 1.4X and 1.5X models which will correctly report focal length. However, MY example of the 2X DG 7-element DOES have a chip and certainly works correctly with the 28-75mm. It also 'works' with the 70-300mm SSM G but not correctly - AF goes mad so MF must be used. The 1.4X and 1.5X control AF properly on the 70-300mm SSM, but don't report focal length or aperture correctly to the camera.

I raised the question with Teleplus's UK importer and they confirmed that new models, fully compatible with Sony SSM and reporting the focal length correctly, will be ready for March next year (PMA). I suspect they actually were not aware of the problems at all, and that my correspondence resulting in them checking their existing products and finding the total mess they are in.

For the moment, the 2X is safe but of course AF is not possible with lenses like the 70-400mm. The 1.4X and 1.5X just don't work correctly with SSS (Steady Shot) or flash but can be used if you are willing to put up with wrong EXIF info and camera displays. The next generation should be corrected. They will be called DG-X.

David
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Hi David...

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

David Kilpatrick wrote:According to Kenko, it has no chip - I have been in correspondence with them. There is a new generation of Teleplus appearing in March 2010 with chips, including 1.4X and 1.5X models which will correctly report focal length. However, MY example of the 2X DG 7-element DOES have a chip and certainly works correctly with the 28-75mm. It also 'works' with the 70-300mm SSM G but not correctly - AF goes mad so MF must be used. The 1.4X and 1.5X control AF properly on the 70-300mm SSM, but don't report focal length or aperture correctly to the camera.

I raised the question with Teleplus's UK importer and they confirmed that new models, fully compatible with Sony SSM and reporting the focal length correctly, will be ready for March next year (PMA). I suspect they actually were not aware of the problems at all, and that my correspondence resulting in them checking their existing products and finding the total mess they are in.

For the moment, the 2X is safe but of course AF is not possible with lenses like the 70-400mm. The 1.4X and 1.5X just don't work correctly with SSS (Steady Shot) or flash but can be used if you are willing to put up with wrong EXIF info and camera displays. The next generation should be corrected. They will be called DG-X.

David
I was just looking at the 1.4x, did a search here, and fortunately found this post.
The 1.4x is currently much more expensive than the 1.5x, is there a corresponding difference in image quality?

This is the 1.5 I am referring to:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... ccessories
Mike
rogprov
Oligarch

Re: Hi David...

Unread post by rogprov »

Mike-Photos wrote: I was just looking at the 1.4x, did a search here, and fortunately found this post.
The 1.4x is currently much more expensive than the 1.5x, is there a corresponding difference in image quality?

This is the 1.5 I am referring to:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... ccessories
Amazing how $99.00 in USA = £99.99 in UK :?

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-Ken ... econverter
Roger
motor
Heirophant

Re: Kenko 2X Teleplus MC-7 DG

Unread post by motor »

I just received an e-mail yesterday from THKphoto (Kenko) that the new Kenko MC7 AF DGX series is released. (2.0/1.4/1.5) Sony is not listed as a mount! (eos/nikon only) There is also a MC4 AF DGX series released. Again No Sony! Hopefully they are holding sony for a later release in March? I checked the website and David is correct alot of chipping is redone and modified. I hope they still plan on releasong a sony mount. Did you hear anything different?

Motor