Sony 18-250 vs 28-75/70-210

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Sony 18-250 vs 28-75/70-210

Unread post by bakubo »

I saw something somewhere a few days ago about a new Sony 18-250mm that is supposed to be announced soon that has a SAM motor. There was a photo too, but I didn't examine it closely. Pretty much looked like the current one, but had an AF/MF switch on it. It will be interesting to see if there are any other changes.
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

bakubo wrote:I saw something somewhere a few days ago about a new Sony 18-250mm that is supposed to be announced soon that has a SAM motor. There was a photo too, but I didn't examine it closely. Pretty much looked like the current one, but had an AF/MF switch on it. It will be interesting to see if there are any other changes.
Sure wish it was a SSM instead. Maybe Tamron will come out with their 18-270 in SSM?

Walt
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

bakubo wrote:
I saw something somewhere a few days ago about a new Sony 18-250mm that is supposed to be announced soon that has a SAM motor. There was a photo too, but I didn't examine it closely. Pretty much looked like the current one, but had an AF/MF switch on it. It will be interesting to see if there are any other changes.

Sure wish it was a SSM instead. Maybe Tamron will come out with their 18-270 in SSM?

Walt
I bought my A550 at £395 just before the A580 was announced and then a Sony 18-250 screw drive at £350 just before this latest rumour above. Well, maybe I am just a bit too impatient or I have got some very good equipment at a decent price. I am happy with the A550 (apart from the "stupid" location of the control dial and had the Sony 18-250 out yesterday on "The World's only seagoing paddle steamer - Waverley" on the Clyde. I can report that looking at the Jpeg images after I thought my CZ18-80 had been left on for image quality even at extended ranges approaching the 250mm setting. The focus was swift and "sweet" with no hunting. Again I thought as effortless as my CZ 18-80. A satisfied customer. So this equipment can do what I require of it just now. I do think that Sony's version is better for build quality and the focus is faster and less "hunting" that my old Tamron 18-250 I passed to my son. Who needs SAM or SSM at a higher price? I guess the answer is those buying for video.