SAM 85 f2.8

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: SAM 85 f2.8

Unread post by pakodominguez »

KevinBarrett wrote:There's an SAL-85F28 sitting in my living room, and I can't open it for 24 more days. This sucks.
That is the problem when you believe in Santa...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Santa? What are you insinuating about Santa?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

KevinBarrett wrote:There's an SAL-85F28 sitting in my living room, and I can't open it for 24 more days. This sucks.
If you're real careful with the wrapping, you can open it from the bottom, take it out and replace it with some similar weighted object, and use it when she's not looking!

Just DON'T get caught!

Dusty
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Kevin, there is the probability to acquire a health problem (including mental one) from waiting a loooong-loooong time :twisted: :twisted:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Dr. Harout wrote:Kevin, there is the probability to acquire a health problem (including mental one) from waiting a loooong-loooong time :twisted: :twisted:
There you go, Kevin - a MEDICAL NEED to use that lens right now! A Doctor said so!

Dusty
KevinBarrett

There is the chance that I'll get to review an a55 before Christmas, and if that happens I'll tear into the package and get not just the 85 but the 35 that came too.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Bluebear
Acolyte

Unread post by Bluebear »

I just got the 85mm SAM on Friday, so will be giving it a test on my A700 later today. I also got the 35mm SAM recently. I for one am delighted tht Sony has produced some affordable primes which, for their price, seem to produce some excellent results. I'll let you know later how I get on - sadly the weather is rather dull and gray here today, so its not the most inspiring of days to go out taking photographs!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Santa delivers very early in Texas :shock: ? I guess it is a big planet for him to get around.

I think the new primes look like a good deal. I'm sure one will find its way into my camera bag eventually.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Kevin- I suggest a more radical approach to getting the lens out early. Place the box on the table next to a tall glass of water or other beverage. 'Accidentally' spill the glass on to the box. Then, you will have to take the lens out. Just explain that you would hate to have fungus develop on lens from being close to water. (Of course you will have to give it a thorough test on you camera to make sure it is OK). :lol: :lol: :lol:
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
KevinBarrett

Juanito200 wrote:Kevin- I suggest a more radical approach to getting the lens out early. Place the box on the table next to a tall glass of water or other beverage. 'Accidentally' spill the glass on to the box. Then, you will have to take the lens out. Just explain that you would hate to have fungus develop on lens from being close to water. (Of course you will have to give it a thorough test on you camera to make sure it is OK). :lol: :lol: :lol:
Madness!

I have a better plan--get my wife (in this instance, "Santa") something she could really use and appreciate and let it sit in the living room beside my lenses. A nice pro-quality stand-mixer should do it. :mrgreen:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

You are wise grasshopper. Soon you shall be a Shaolin Photog!! (Especially if it is a nice big Kitchenaid)
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Can't beat those Kitchenaid's! We're still using Grandma's and it must be pushing 50!

Dusty
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

KevinBarrett wrote:Madness!

I have a better plan--get my wife (in this instance, "Santa") something she could really use and appreciate and let it sit in the living room beside my lenses. A nice pro-quality stand-mixer should do it. :mrgreen:
mmmm
At your place, I'll first make sure she's not reading this forum, otherwise you have all the chances to be accused of been plain Macho (a "stand-mixer"? is she really fond on cooking?)

Then, have a conversation with her and explain her that Santa is good for kids, but at your age, you can skip all those non-sensed legends and just be happy.

You can told her too that, in order to be ready to fully use the lens on Christmas, you must start practicing with it now
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

KevinBarrett wrote:I have a better plan--get my wife (in this instance, "Santa") something she could really use and appreciate and let it sit in the living room beside my lenses. A nice pro-quality stand-mixer should do it. :mrgreen:
If you intend that as a serious remark, your wife is VERY different from my wife, and very different from most women I know. If I were to even whisper that I was thinking of giving my wife a kitchen appliance - or anything else that is utilitarian - I could expect to die a very slow and very painful death! :shock:

With best wishes,
- Tom -
KevinBarrett

I actually had to seek her advice on the stand mixer, as it's something she's wanted since before I ever had my Alpha, and I am almost as fond of photography as she is of cooking. We are negotiating a bargain, actually, so that she can use the stand mixer to make Christmas cookies, and I can use one of the lenses to document the process. The requirement is that the house gets cleaned and a Christmas tree installed and decorated before either of us can take early delivery. Guess what I'm doing Wednesday!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --