Power-hungry SEL 18200

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Power-hungry SEL 18200

Unread post by agorabasta »

10 min, 20 shots at the long end, 25% off a fully charged battery. Both the OS and AF were on, as they would be in normal use.
In a few words - absolutely no match for the Nex 5/3.

But maybe someone's got different experience?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Power-hungry SEL 18200

Unread post by pakodominguez »

agorabasta wrote:10 min, 20 shots at the long end, 25% off a fully charged battery. Both the OS and AF were on, as they would be in normal use.
In a few words - absolutely no match for the Nex 5/3.

But maybe someone's got different experience?
Nope, I read about poor battery life with the NEX and I was surprised because I never experience that issue. But it is because I only have the SEL 16F28 and the most of the times I use my Minolta MD lenses. AF, specially during video, is constant (and fast and quite accurate) but is also battery drainer...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

I can't comment on the battery life but a question regarding the lens, is the OS method user selectable between active and passive or does it automatically go to active just for video?
agorabasta
Viceroy

There's no OS method selection for that lens. Moreover, the OS is pretty poor for the stills at the long end. It seems like it doesn't compensate for the slow drift movements of the lens/cam, just as it would be quite suitable for video and not for taking stills.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Pako, the more I use the Nex, the more I feel that the 16mm pancake suits this cam the best. And then there's an optical viewfinder with exactly the 16mm FOV.
So I think I'll have one of my Nex cams permanently married with a 16mm and with that viewfinder bolted-on permanently as well...

I only wish we get a higher quality 16mm pancake, be it even much more expensive...
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

agorabasta wrote:Pako, the more I use the Nex, the more I feel that the 16mm pancake suits this cam the best. And then there's an optical viewfinder with exactly the 16mm FOV.
So I think I'll have one of my Nex cams permanently married with a 16mm and with that viewfinder bolted-on permanently as well...

I only wish we get a higher quality 16mm pancake, be it even much more expensive...
The SEl 16mm f2.8 is definitely a good lens and I'm not sure you can easily get a "higher quality" lens -and,a s we know, twice the price doesn't mean twice 2X better...

I was thinking on buying Voigtlander M lenses because I want something more compact and light than my Minolta MD lenses, but I prefer to wait a little until Sony define what those lens' mock up they shown at Photokina and PPE will be. Voigtlander lenses are quite good, but the 25mm Skopar f4.0 (discontinued) is a $200+ lens, and the 21mm f4.0 a $400+ lens. I'm ready to bet that, if Sony bring those focal distance on SEL, it will be as good optically and less expensive (+ AF, etc)

I would like to see a SEL 24mm f2.8 and a SEL 85mm macro and the kit for street photography will be complete.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;