Tokina to make lenses for Sony Alpha?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
GeirJ0909
Acolyte

Tokina to make lenses for Sony Alpha?

Unread post by GeirJ0909 »

Does anyone on the forum know anything about the rumours that Tokina is going to make lenses for the Alpha mount? I still have the AT-X pro 80-200mm F2.8 which I bought new back in the nineties and I would like to have a look at the AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 PRO FX for my a850. Any chances this will be made for Sony Alpha in the future?
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Tokina to make lenses for Sony Alpha?

Unread post by Dusty »

So far they are back to making one - I believe it's the 11-16mm - in Alpha mount. I've heard rumors that others will follow.

They are owned by Hoya, who also owns Pentax, so there was speculation they quit making Alpha mount because Sony is a competitor, but so are Nikon and Canon, and they continued to make lenses in those mounts. I believe they probably quit because they thought KM was done, and the mount with it. Sony's Alpha mount sales have now increased to the point that it's now worthwhile again.

Dusty
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Tokina to make lenses for Sony Alpha?

Unread post by alphaomega »

They are owned by Hoya, who also owns Pentax, so there was speculation they quit making Alpha mount because Sony is a competitor, but so are Nikon and Canon, and they continued to make lenses in those mounts. I believe they probably quit because they thought KM was done, and the mount with it. Sony's Alpha mount sales have now increased to the point that it's now worthwhile again.
I think Dusty is absolutely right in that evaluation of Tokina's view of the A mount. Business is business and Hoya will not prevent Tokina from re-entering the A mount business if it is considered to become profitable. Just my opinion.