Sigma 70-300 OS (Optical Stabilisation) Sony fit

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

Sigma 70-300 OS (Optical Stabilisation) Sony fit

Unread post by DrScottNicol »

Is this the best section to post a price bargain tip? I visited Park Cameras Showroom down in Sussex yesterday - it was good to visit somewhere that actually had a decent range of 'in stock' Sony lenses for me to try out and the sales person was friendly and polite (though it has to be said, fairly vague as to the specific workings of Sony cameras and lenses). I tried out the Sony reflex 500mm, although my handheld shots were a bit on the soft and blurry side - I'm guessing a tripod would be a must with this lens) and almost on a whim asked if they had any Tamron or Sigma lenses in stock for Sony (the Sony area made no mention that you can buy 3rd party lenses and the Sigma / Tamron display cases don't highlight which lens is available in which mount). A stock search revealed they had the above 70-300 (the new version which drops the APO in favour of in lens stabilisation) - its currently 250 GBP (150 pounds off rrp) for the Sony version and they had 3 'out the back' as it were, all with the a55 compatible sticker on). After a quick play in the shop attached to my a55, I bought it there and then - I found it to be pretty sharp at the long end, the OS seems to work a little better than the steady shot (I switched between the 2 but haven't tried a scientific direct 3 way no os / in lens / in body test) and 250 seems a bargain for a SONY fit OS lens.

Scott
Sony NEX 5n (IR Conversion) / Nex 5r / a55 / NEX 6 / Dynax 7 / a77 user

http://www.SNICOLPHOTOS.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsnicol
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Sigma 70-300 OS (Optical Stabilisation) Sony fit

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Scott - from memeory there is also also a Dealer Alert area, but I think Lens Lore applies as well :D .

Sounds like a good deal you got - be interested to see how you feel the Steady Shot v. OS plays out in real life.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

Unread post by DrScottNicol »

Ah yes - thanks Birma - Dealer Alert was hidden away right at the bottom of the list :-)
Will Stick things like this there in future.
Scott
Sony NEX 5n (IR Conversion) / Nex 5r / a55 / NEX 6 / Dynax 7 / a77 user

http://www.SNICOLPHOTOS.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsnicol
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

This lens is very good. You have not made a bad decision there at all.

David
matthew
Acolyte

Unread post by matthew »

Thanks Acolyte for the information have just bought this lens too, just have to tell swmbo, so that's a large Easter egg as well.
matthew
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I also got one at a good price.
Only tried it out recently and appears to be pretty good.
I havent tested side by side the OS/SSS but I did have a few blurry shots with both so definitely not foolproof.
I got it specifically as a smaller lighter lens for travel when I leave the f2.8 kit behind.
Don't lilke the "rattle" which I assume is to do with the OS element group.
Now got a Tamron 70-300 up for grabs, cheap to a good home.

Mike.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.