What gear to take to Seattle (and surrounding areas)

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

What gear to take to Seattle (and surrounding areas)

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

So a few big things have happened in my life, lately. First, my wife has become a nurse and will more than double our household income. Second, she is convinced I had something to do with her success, and she wants to thank me. Third, the camera system in which I already have some thousands of dollars invested has had several product releases and announcements that have reassured me of my faith in said system.

This all adds up to "New Lens Time" and the wifey-poo has even given me a deadline. Apparently I have to add a new lens to my kit by October 3rd, when we depart for a week in Seattle, Washington, and the surrounding areas (Puget Sound, Olympic Peninsula, mountains, rainforests, city, etc...). She won't let me put it off because she knows I'll never spend money on myself again except at gunpoint.

So here's what I've got:
Sony a700+VG
Sony TX7

Sony 18-70
Tamron 17-50/2.8
Minolta 70-210/4

Minolta 24/2.8
Sony 35/1.8
Minolta 50/1.7
Sony 85/2.8

And here's what I'm considering:
Sigma 8-16 II (splash proof!)
Sony 70-400 G SSM (ambitions of shooting wildlife once I move up there)
Sony Zeiss 135/1.8 (you only live once)

...and here's the problem:
The Sigma isn't out yet, the last time I went to Seattle I hardly ever even put the 70-210 on my camera, and what the heck would I do with a 135mm lens anyway? You see how I have a hard time spending money on myself. Maybe I should just get an HX9 and relax?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: What lens to take to Seattle (and surrounding areas)

Unread post by bakubo »

Okay with that kind of budget ($1800 for 70-400mm) it is easy. You already have a bunch of lenses. Don't use the money for a lens. Use it to take a trip. It will be something much more memorable, IMO.

Maybe take the 17-50mm and 35mm to Seattle.
KevinBarrett

That's what I'm thinking, Henry. Last time I went I relied on my Tamron and the two Minolta primes, only just occasionally wanting something wider than 17mm but never hurting. I'm thinking the two Sony primes will be better suited to what I like to shoot up in the forests there, the 35 for street and the 85 for casual macro. If my wife really twists my arm I'll rent the current Sigma 8-16 and see whether it's worth owning the new one.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Kevin, why don't you consider the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm or 8mm?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I'm not sure about lenses (I'll sell a couple of the ones you already have BTW) but what you need for Seattle is this: https://www.adorama.com/VDVMSJSSB.html

Get the 70-400. The 135 is near to useless in real life (unless you do portrait/wedding photog a lot)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinBarrett

Re: What gear to take to Seattle (and surrounding areas)

I've more or less decided against buying or renting anything for the time being. As I mentioned, the UWA isn't out yet, and the 70-400 won't be so handy on a beach or in the dense woods--nor do I want to hike with a lens that big. Renting is out because I don't want to be distracted by the stress of keeping up with a lens that isn't mine, nor do I want to be preoccupied with the question, "do I want to buy a copy or is it enough just to rent it for now?"

Now, what I will need, to make my trip more comfortable with the gear I have, is a backpack. I lugged around a clumsy system bag the last time I went, and while that bag is great for storage and taking gear to more stationary gigs, I do NOT want to hike with a shoulder-strap system bag again.

Got any insights? I'm looking for all-day comfort and accessibility for my camera at it's bulkiest (a700 + VG + 70-210), three more lenses, and a flash...
...maybe accommodation for a tripod (Manfrotto 055XPROB), but my ball head has quit tightening (#$@!) so I'm sure I won't even take it for this trip.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi KB - I'm currently using a Kata 3in1 33 for photo excursions.

The +ve
- Very well made bag, including rain cover, very nearly up there with Lowepro quality.
- Harness system allows backpack or sling bag configuration - the backpack config is very comfortable
- Very useful side quick-access panels
- Bright yellow interior helps in finding those small black items that fall off things!
- Has a handy top compartment to stuff personal items like food and drink (or more lenses!)
- Swallows up a lot of gear

The -ve
- Swallows up a lot of gear - I can fit more in than is comfortable to carry! Even with the Nex instead of a DSLR I am too often tempted to take extra glass due to the space saved - aaaaargh! (When I go on holiday I load it up with everything including the laptop, but on receaching my destination I have to unload a lot of the contents at the hotel etc.)
- Only takes an attached tripod with an extra attachment - I think the 055PXROB would be too big for it - I have the same pod and I carry mine by hand.

I understand now why so many people collect a lot of photo bags over the years. There is no one-bag solution, just compromises. I'm currently looking for a small back-pack that will carry a large (e.g. 055xprob) tripod :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Kevin,

If I had to choose from the lenses available to you, I'd take just the 17-50 and 85. And then maybe the 35/1.8.

That 85 you've got produces images quite suitable for cropping, thus getting some 'telephoto'.

On a side note, you may get some really good high-res tele results from the 85 if you shoot series and then stack for higher res and crop. But that requires some special software.
KevinBarrett

I took my kit to the camera store today and tried on backpacks. I saw the Kata 3-in-1 bags you mentioned, Andy, but I chose the Lowepro Flipside 400AW. Of the very few backpacks that could accommodate the a700+VG (an odd size for most packs) + beercan, the Flipside 400 had the most comfortable and supportive straps, plus a hide-away tripod pouch and the quickest access to gear. The smaller Flipside bags had less substantial straps and a main zipper that tended to hang up when closing, but the 400 did not and is very well equipped. My wife's already given the bag a nick-name, "the bondage gear." I also picked up a Cokin filter holder and a 3 stop ND grad filter so I have something new to play with when I get to the beach.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

KevinBarrett wrote:My wife's already given the bag a nick-name, "the bondage gear."
Ahh, after you are done with photos for the day you two are all set for kinky, adult fun. :lol:

Glad you found a bag that will for you!
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

bakubo wrote:
KevinBarrett wrote:My wife's already given the bag a nick-name, "the bondage gear."
Ahh, after you are done with photos for the day you two are all set for kinky, adult fun. :lol:

Beat me to it, Henry. That's what I was thinking when I read it!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Dusty wrote:
bakubo wrote:

Beat me to it, Henry. That's what I was thinking when I read it!

You two are just a couple of dirty old men!

:shock:

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

UrsaMajor wrote:
You two are just a couple of dirty old men!

:shock:

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Hey, we're not the ones who came up with that moniker!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote:Hey, we're not the ones who came up with that moniker!
Yes, I think it would be useful to go back and see who gave it that name. :lol:
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Almazar80 »

I'd bring an umbrella and a good tripod with good ballhead. You should be able to drive to the coastline easily and the vistas in the Pacific NW are tremendous. Just have fun. With my kids and wife in tow in all our vacations, I don't get to photograph as much as I want or at the time that I want (all the time). The moments spent with them, though, are priceless. Enjoy the trip!