which lens to buy?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

which lens to buy?

Unread post by stevecim »

Hi All, after selling my A350 on ebay, I now have the funds to buy a lens, thats worth more then the sub $200 lenses I've been using ......

First purchase i need the most is something to replace my old sigma 17-50 f3.5-5.6 dc, I'm going to go with a hong kong based supplier. australian prices are just crazy.
I have a A550 .

option 1: Sony 28-75mm f2.8 Price: $725.00 AUD

option 2: Sony DT 16-105mm f3.5-5.6 Price: $479.00 AUD

option 3: Sony CZ DT 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 Vario-Sonnar T Price: $624.00 AUD

i've been using my 17-50 has my indoor and holiday walk around (when I'm not after wildlife), I'm leaning towards the CZ, I have never owned a 2.8 zoom so I don't know if the 28-75 is a more useful lens? or is the extra 16-27mm on the CZ make it more useful?

Cheers, Steve
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: which lens to buy?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I'd go with the Sony CZ 16-80, myself. I've had enough of 3X zooms for now. When I'm using a zoom, I'm not going for large apertures, and I'm happy enough to leave the house with just a prime on the camera, but when I want a zoom I'm always at the extremes of my Tamron 17-50's focal lengths, and always stopped down to around f/5.6-8 or so.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I like the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 but it's really if you want that range AND the speed. The speed is the critical factor for that lens.
If you don't need the speed and want more range I guess the 16-80 CZ is the place to go if you are ok with the price.
16-105mm has compromises IQ wise some are ok with that..in the UK the 16-80 is not that much more so I think the better bet overall.

Indoors def go with the Tamron that extra speed is important. It's also a lot cheaper than the Sony ones. 28-75mm is nice too though you lose the wide end on APS-C. The other option is the Sigma 17-70mm though it's only f2/8 at the wide end you're a stop down after that.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Even though I hesitate to buy one because of the history of problems with it, I think the CZ16-80 is the everyday lens of choice on APS-C, I'd definitely buy one if I knew for sure I wasn’t going to end up with a lemon.
Greg
Ps. Btw using the KM28-75 (just for a change) I accidentally shot a flower the other day (P mode) in low-ish afternoon shade/light and a fit of slackness forgot to push the ISO so I ended up with an f3.5 shot at ISO400 and was amazed at the sharpness that lens has at nearly wide open, the Sony version would definitely be as good I’d reckon, but the 28-75 despite being constant f2.8 doesn’t have the wide angle end the CZ has, so the latter is more desirable I think.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Steve - I have to completely echo what KB has said. In addition there is the new Sony 16-50/2.8, which adds SSM, that is the only thing that would stop the CZ 16-80 being the automatic choice for me.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Thanks All, looked at the new Sony 16-50/2.8 SSM but since it a new lens, street price is around $1K AUD,
I'm also looking to get a Tamron 70-300 USD. That looks like a good buy at around the $450 .

I thinking the 16-80CZ + 70-300 USD would make a pretty good 2 lens kit :) for ~$1100
shootersdesireIN
Acolyte

Unread post by shootersdesireIN »

There will come a time you will need the stronger aperture. If your going to spend the money on a lens then shoot for the better aperture. Low light or bokah always comes into play. My experience is 2.8 for a starter. The 28-75 f2.8 tamron is a classic and is well worth the Glass. You may want to checkout KEh.com The worlds largest used camera supplier in Atlanta Georgia. They also have a 6 month warranty. They rate from New to Ugly. Checkout the minolta digital lenses as well. I am new to Sony but after the Sony a77 came out i defected from Nikon D300 to sony. NOW I have to start ALL OVER with lens and i'm BROKE :)
bfitzgerald

The problem with the 16-80mm is the price it's very pricey nearly £600
Personally I don't think it's worth that outlay myself it just doesn't feel like a £600 odd lens build wise.
It's one lens Sony should update with SSM and better build then it might just be worth it.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote:The problem with the 16-80mm is the price it's very pricey nearly £600
Personally I don't think it's worth that outlay myself it just doesn't feel like a £600 odd lens build wise.
It's one lens Sony should update with SSM and better build then it might just be worth it.
DK already said on this forum that a good copy of the 16-50 f 2.8 is "as good" as the Zeiss 16-80.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Thanks for all the advice, has it turned out I didn't quite have the funds I wanted, so I've chosen a Sigma 18-250 OS HSM.

I'm hoping the lens will be good enough to also replace my 70-300 tamron Di for now.

Cheers, Steve
bfitzgerald

pakodominguez wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:The problem with the 16-80mm is the price it's very pricey nearly £600
DK already said on this forum that a good copy of the 16-50 f 2.8 is "as good" as the Zeiss 16-80.

That's not what I was saying! Simply that the 16-80mm is not priced fairly in relation to what you "get"
The 16-50 is I believe weather sealed (to a degree) and SSM the 16-80mm has neither but it's build is really nothing special either for a lens this price.
Optics wise it's a great lens that's a side issue.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Optics wise it's a great lens that's a side issue.
Sorry Mr. Fitzgerald. but that is really the core issue. I would not do without my CZ 16-80 for "all the tea in China" as the saying goes.
bfitzgerald

If you're going to address me this isn't the army so refrain from using my surname if you please.
You can have your own view but IMO there are plenty of sharp good optics lenses that cost a lot less than the CZ does. Build quality is most def a factor for some buyers.
It's in need of an update and quite a few would agree on that.

If Walt were around I'm sure he'd fill you in on that he's had quite a few copies I think
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Did'nt mean to offend Barry Fitzgerald. The Sony/CZ 16-80 is roughly the same price as Canon's 15-85 at around £550. The great thing about the CZ is the fact that it reaches from 16 to 80mm and maintain IQ. I think David Kilpatrick stated somewhere that this lens dealt well with the new Sony 24Mp sensor cameras. The lens had some problems to start with but reports on later models indicated these had been overcome. This is a great standard zoom. An updated version with inbuilt motor would probably be welcome by some, but I would see no advantage as I have never experienced AF speed problems with cameras used spanning from A700 through A350, A550 and A580. I look forward to occasional use on my NEX-5 when the new firmware is available to operate the EA-LA2 converter.
bfitzgerald

I think it's down to "you get what you pay for"
I've no problem with screw drive myself aside from noise I can't see any problems and AF noise isn't something that tends to bother me much.
Let's see if Walt turns up as he's a lot more experience with this lens and he had some QC issues as well as build problems if I remember rightly