sigma 18-250?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

sigma 18-250?

Unread post by mikehawthorne »

hi david kilpatrick
i have seen some old posts about the 18-250 sigma at first you did not seem very enthusiastic
about it but later you did a very positive reveiw, are you still positive about using it now after a year or so.
i have been reasonably happy with it although i find it gives much better results i good ligh with nice contrast than it does in dull conditions, but you say the same bout a lot of lenes.

mikehawthorne
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: sigma 18-250?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Mike, ours is now well worn and scruffy but turns in a great performance. Overall I still have not found a better lens of this type. What I have noticed is that at 18mm, you can go to wide open without worry; at 250mm, you can do the same with caution. But around 50mm-150mm range, where apertures around f/5.6 are wide open, it sometimes proves soft if used that way. Stopping down to f/8 or f/9 makes it hard to fault at any setting.

Here's a couple of Shirley's shots from Split last month, showing the range of the lens well -
split4-sk.jpg
split4-sk.jpg (94.93 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
split5-sk.jpg
split5-sk.jpg (119.74 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
It's just a great lens for being out and about and very sharp indeed on her Alpha 580.

David
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

Re: sigma 18-250?

Unread post by mikehawthorne »

Hi David
Thanks for reply the 18-250 is my maine lens i only have the 18-70 kit as standby now, the sigma has done me well i try to keep f8 and preferably keep iso no higher than 400(i never had faster than that when i used film any way). i have thought i could have nearly got the zies standard zoom but comments about the build of it and the old screw drive turned me off. thanks again.
mike hawthorne