Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Headcell
Initiate

Unread post by Headcell »

I'm looking for an 'all rounder' that will be good in low light (artificial lighting - domestic fluorescent/energy efficient bulbs) to capture sometimes fast moving pets.

Budget is limited, but this lens looks promising. Reviews are generally good.

Does anyone have any experience with this lens? Is it worth the investment?

Thank you.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Headcell, I heartily recommend this lens. I have owned it for around 5 years and used it on A100, A700 and Nex 5 (+adapter). It was my preferred lens for landscape shots. I have used it most at around f/8 and f/11 and been very happy with colour and sharpness. The constant f/2.8 is a real boon for framing and focusing providing a nice bright view. It is a nice solid feeling lens, with a good lens hood.

Any downsides? I found the 50mm too short for use as a general purpose walkaround. The manual focus ring is a bit plastic and cheap feeling, on my copy anyway. The hood was always stiff to mount / dismout and left me feeling I was at risk of damaging the lens.

Sadly, earlier this year I dropped the lens (it fell out of an unzipped bag :( ) and this damaged the mount around the front element. Not surprisingly this also dented my confidence in using it, and so I have 'upgraded' to a 2nd hand copy of the CZ16-80. This has a great range, very nice manual focus action, and is of course sharp and contrasty. Build quality is probably a bit worse than the Tamron though.

If a new lens rather than 2nd hand is important, and the CZ16-80 is too expensive, then I would get this lens again in a heart-beat. If you can get a good copy of the CZ second-hand then this would be my choice now.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Headcell
Initiate

Unread post by Headcell »

Thank you.

I'll be taking pictures mainly of my rabbits and children, but also some landscapes, and close ups. II'll try to find a local store where I can test it out. I'll also keep an eye open for a 2nd hand CZ16-80.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I like the lens I've used it in various mounts too.
For the outlay it's hard to beat. Yes I like more than 50mm at the top end..BUT the f2.8 speed element more than makes up for this, as well as the bit wider than kit lens aspect too

A good copy should be very usable at f2.8 across the entire range.
anthony_h
Acolyte

Unread post by anthony_h »

I've also been happy with my copy of the 17-50mm until recently when it feels like the teeth have been stripped on the zoom ring, so that it lens is difficult to zoom in and out.

I'm in the UK, does anyone have any experience of getting Tamron lenses repaired?

Cheers,

Ant.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Ant, have a look at the helicoid zoom followers, they are probably accessible from the outside if the design is the usual one, there is usually three of them and one of them has possibly come loose. Ease the zoom rubber grip forwards (or back, whichever is more convenient) until it’s free of the zoom collar and carefully peel the seal tape off (it’s there to keep moisture out, and you need to put that back in as good condition as possible), careful here as the loose screw, washer and roller might drop out and they are small and easily lost so do it closely above a surface that will retain dropped tiny parts (a bed is good). Tighten all of them with a oo Phillips or suitable screwdriver but don’t overdo it, the housing shell that they screw into is usually thin and the thread could be damaged with too much tightening.
Of course if the followers aren't accessible from the outside the lens will have to go too a Tamron nominated repair shop for a disassembly and repair.
Greg
anthony_h
Acolyte

Unread post by anthony_h »

Hi Greg, thanks for the suggestion but it looks like it is solid plastic under the zoom ring rubber. I'll get in touch with the UK distributor and see what they suggest.

Cheers,

Ant.