Are these the best lenses in the world?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
johnstra
Heirophant

Are these the best lenses in the world?

Unread post by johnstra »

As far as I know you cannot get a Cooke lens in a A mount. Nonetheless it is fascinating to know that the lenses that were used to shoot many of the movies you have seen are hand made by Cooke (yes, that Cooke, or Taylor, Taylor and Hobson as they were also once known) in Leicester, England. Go to http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf/pr ... smade.html and once you have had a look around click on 'How a lens is made' and then on the yellow link.
Sorry if this is a little off topic but I couldn't resist it.
Bob Johnston
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Are these the best lenses in the world?

Unread post by classiccameras »

Hi Bob

I'm new to this forum, but I found this thread interesting. We had Taylor Hobson lenses on our RAF photo recci Canberra aircraft. I also remember seeing TH lenses in some high end enlargers and epidiascopes.
I think TH lenses were used in a variety applications from military to domestic.

I was lucky enough to look round a USAF B-47 years ago which was a surveillance model and it had Bell & Howel cameras and lenses, not any where as good as ours I might add.

Pete
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Are these the best lenses in the world?

Unread post by mikeriach »

classiccameras wrote:Hi Bob

I'm new to this forum, but I found this thread interesting. We had Taylor Hobson lenses on our RAF photo recci Canberra aircraft. I also remember seeing TH lenses in some high end enlargers and epidiascopes.
I think TH lenses were used in a variety applications from military to domestic.

I was lucky enough to look round a USAF B-47 years ago which was a surveillance model and it had Bell & Howel cameras and lenses, not any where as good as ours I might add.

Pete
Ahh real aeroplanes, none of the modern plastic junk.....
Only ever seen a B47 in photos/videos but the PR Canberras were the dogs bits (never fancied the nav position, a wee bit cramped). Big wing and loads of power made for fantastic performance.

As an aside, Taylor Hobson made high quality surveying optics as well.

Cheers,
Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.