Lens review

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Lens review

Unread post by classiccameras »

Any one used the Konica Minolta AF 17-35 F/2.8 wide zoom and how did it perform. I already have the Minolta 24-85 and its a cracker, I thought the 17-35 would be a good partner. I have seen one going for under £200. kurt Munger review gave it a positive review.

Thanks
Peter
redsim74
Oligarch

Re: Lens review

Unread post by redsim74 »

bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Be careful with Kurt's reviews he's been hit with iffy copies before so look around at other resources as well.
I just picked up the 17-35mm (Tamron) IMO for the outlay it's a useful lens (on both APS-C and FF)
classiccameras
Viceroy

Thanks guys

I just read the SLR Gear.com web site and the readers reviews give the Konica Minolta 17-35 'D' version 10/10 for image quality and 9 over all.

Yes, I have read some of Kurt's reviews and I am not totally convinced of his results and conclusions on 'some' reviews, in other words they are sometimes at odds with other well respected review sites.
I guess user reviews such as in SLR Gear are more real world and a good indicator of performance with the lens in question than endless lab tests .

Pete
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

You could read the Dyxum user reviews, they will vary though as do copies. Nothing wrong with Kurt's site he just tests what he gets it's worth a look.
In some cases though it might not be representative of what you get. I tested the Km 18-70mm v the 18-55mm SAM and the KM outperforms the newer kit lens (his review indicates otherwise), but I know how bad the Sony version of the 18-70mm was pretty awful the 2/3 copies I tried. Not that the 18-55mm is bad it's perfectly ok, I just got a mostly very good copy of the KM kit lens.

As far as I know the 17-35mm is a Tamron design re-badged for Minolta. Nice lens really not sure why Tamron stopped making it. (they have nothing to replace it for a FF UWA zoom)
Old Hydro
Initiate

Unread post by Old Hydro »

classiccameras wrote:Any one used the Konica Minolta AF 17-35 F/2.8 wide zoom and how did it perform. I already have the Minolta 24-85 and its a cracker, I thought the 17-35 would be a good partner. I have seen one going for under £200. kurt Munger review gave it a positive review.

Thanks
Peter

I have the KM lens. Its pretty good for the price. However, I have found that anytime the sun is in the frame, the picture includes flares. If you send me your email address I will send an example.

Knowing this, I don't know if I would buy it again. I use it less then I thought I would because of the flare issue.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Thanks for that, since my last post I have got a mint 17-35 F/2.8-4 for just £129.
It came with no hood so I'm in the process of looking for a suitable replacement. Every one has been so helpful.
You are right about the flare, it needs careful use if the sun is coming in from the side. Perhaps a lens hood will help a little, although its been critisized for not being very effective.

I am very pleased with the lens as I took some Autumn shots in my local park of the lovely leaf colours/trees today and they have come out superb.

I was advised when using KM lenses on Sony bodies is to switch off the first curtain shutter as colours may be un balanced with it on.
Cheers
Peter
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It takes the same lens hood as the 11-18mm Tam/KM/Sony and you can get those new - so a replacement hood is easy enough to locate.

David